Caught my 63 on fire

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I am happy to hear your damage was very limited, it is a good thing you had a fire extinguisher handy. Everyone who has an older car should make it a must to have a fire extinguisher on board or they are gambling on loosing a major investment, I never leave home without one especially in a Corvette.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My other 63 409 car has the plastic hose also that's been on there for 16+ years and will be swapped out next week along with the one that caught on fire!

Never use the plastic tube oil gauges. COPPER only. Or electric

Now adays you think you're buying a quality product from someone in the USA but when you pay you see your money went to some ding bat hong kong mofo, I hate that.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I built the 81 Trans Am for my kids to drive. Extra parts form the 78 TA. 81 was someone's project cat they were pulling the crappy 301 Turbo and interior out and stopped. I always had a fire extinguisher in it and my son said it creeped his friends out! The day the A/C fast idle solenoid went hay wire and bumped the idle up to 2000 so with the 3.08s it was moving even at idle! Freaked my son out. He still calls it the Death Trap. He also never got used to having it warm up on the choke in the winter. His younger sister never had any issues with it.

Another Trans Am buddy had a similar location fire when brake fluid got on the exhaust.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Had the wife and a couple of the kids out for a ride in the 09 one time. Went through the gears on the ramp to the interstate. All of a sudden I smelled gas. Immediately turned off ignition and stopped. Raised hood. Didn't really see anything until i cranked it over. Gas squirting out the side of the carb. A little lead? plug had fell out. Went over to the ditch, cut a piece of willow, and drove it into the hole. Got us home. Could have been really bad.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had two 396 Chevrolets, that same plug came out of the Quadra jet carb on each of them. The Caprice went up in flames. Product Liability was not an issue in the 60’s. Not the same now.

Chip

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I had my 4x2 backfire in my 65 Chevelle, the wife was with me. I run out and try and play the shell game for a bet but wasn't making much ground, then the wife walks up with extinguisher that is mounted to the transmission tunnel and ask if I need this, I snagged it from her hands put out the fire and replied "Smart Ass" :doh

I’m the wife of this crazy ass old man, I knew as soon as he pulled out of the driveway things will not end well, especially when the son is around, it’s like he turns 18 all over again, Trust me I was not shocked when they pulled up and things were smoking.

I am not sure how this crazy ass Will survive to see retirement... but I live him!

Junky

Well Known Member
If you have fire insurance on the car, then all those items that were smoked can be brought back to show room new condition with the insurance company paying the bill less the deductible. I am sure that it didn't look anything like it does now, and that is why you pay the premium, to cover accidents like this.