Ignition all in @

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hi gents
I suppose that you all are getting tired of my mundane ignition issues.
However one more question...I bought spring s and skinny counter weights. I guess that all the mechanical should be in @ 3000 or so.
What say you?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The less load you put on the engine at any given rpm the quicker you can introduce advance. If your going to lug an engine down with a 4000 lb. car and a 3.08 rear gear the advance curve should be relatively flat. That is just a generic response. There is more to it than that but you should get the idea.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The Two Inch Rule (Duke Williams)

The vacuum can should provide full vacuum advance at no less than 2" less than typical idle vacuum with the proper total idle timing, which is in the range of mid-20s to low 30s. High overlap cams should have total idle timing in the upper part of this range and lower part for low overlap cams.

Total idle timing is the sum of initial, plus full vacuum advance, plus maybe a couple of degrees of centrifugal if the curve starts at lower than idle speed, which is the case on some SHP engines. Check the specs!!!

If the engine has no vacuum can or it is dead, tie up the centrifugal with a rubber band and increase the timing to the above range. As you do this engine revs will increase, so use the idle speed screw to reduce revs to your target idle speed.

Now measure manifold vacuum and use "the rule" to select a vacuum can.
Out of most pay grade.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I remember "tuning" my 62 327 by removing the vacuum canister and brazing the points plate in the fully advanced position. I then tossed the advance weight springs into the garbage and set the base timing so it would start. I think full advance occurred around 2000 rpm. It ran pretty strong, but gas was a lot better back then. I think this modification was straight out of Car Craft or Hot Rod when people actually read magazines.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Note:
I have another distributor that is going to “ignition” man as soon as he is well. Lots to compare.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Physically or mentally?
I have heard both good and bad about this guy. I have no experience with him though, so I have stayed away from him. What companies besides him can you send a distributor to for recurve based on engine components?