Surface rust question trunk

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Anyone have a good solution for rust stain removal. This was caused by rubber mat moisture

Quik9r

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_161711.jpg
    IMG_20200524_161711.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200524_161702.jpg
    IMG_20200524_161702.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 61

Junky

Well Known Member
dissolve some "Iron Out" in a sink of warm water, and then immerse a cotton terry towel in the sink. Bring the wet towel out to the car, and allow it to lay on the stain for 15 or 20 minutes, and then lift it up to see if it has absorbed the rust from the paint. It might take multiple applications to lift the rust off the paint. You can buy Iron Out at Home Depot or Lowes. I used it to remove rust stains from a pillow case that spent years in an old ambulance linen cabinet. The car was so badly rusted, that there were holes in the roof.

Junky

Well Known Member
I think that trying to remove the rust stain first is worthwhile, since it appears to be a factory applied spatter paint. Finding the original spatter paint today is impossible, and the water soluble paint today just don't look correct in an old car, or at least to me, and old guy that remembers these cars when they hit the showroom floor.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would never repaint.

Junky you have a good idea and may try it this week. will report back to the group

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You probably can get the staining off with a mild acid solution. Some of the paint is going to rub off also. Will never look the same afterwards. The edges of the brace have exposed bare metal now. Moving forward you'll need to keep it bone dry, closing the trunk the condensation builds up, flows to low point and more rust. Probably slow the process way down without a floor mat and leave trunk open if parked for extended periods.

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
try some " metal rescue " comes in a 1 gallon jug ,
good stuff to have around regardless
,pour it on the surface and let it sit ,try it on some old bolts first.restores old bolts nicely

427John

Well Known Member
Moving forward you'll need to keep it bone dry, closing the trunk the condensation builds up, flows to low point and more rust. Probably slow the process way down without a floor mat and leave trunk open if parked for extended periods.
X2 that's what I would do too pull the mat and trunk lid open.If your really anal you can build a jig to lay the mat on so it maintains its contour.If money is no object you could also get a dehumidifier and keep it running in your garage.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
one bad year of storage is what set it off. Car has been in Canada for 35 years from California. Always stored in a Car jacket except one year. Still learning.