Another 409 Cross Ram on Ebay for $2000

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
$2000 is not as bad as what some have tried to get
Just remember that's the starting bid. I already spoke to him at length about it, nice guy. I would have been way more excited about it but it comes with rusty brakets and someone did some polishing on it years ago. Can't make it look like new so you would be spending a premium price on an ok piece. Not to mention its no where near the performance of other intakes you can buy for way less. Like Dan said before, its like tuning two 4 cylinder engines together because the Carbs have no balance plenum between them. Clearly my Avatar on here makes me a fan. I told him that he needed to go to Ebay and see how he does there since we couldn't work out a deal. If it were a factory Weiand Tunnel ram for a 409 I'd take a loan out to get it. I have a picture of an advertisement where they showed that Weiand tunnel ram with 2 quadra-jets on top. That is a rare sum-gun.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
64superstocker, is this the intake that showed up on Facebook last week? If someone's not in a hurry you can price something high and then drop if it doesn't sell. I had to give that money for an AMC crossram. It's nice, looks like it had a couple of bolts in it for display but not run.

427John

Well Known Member
I was just looking at an ad for the big cast aluminum air cleaner used on the 430 Lincoln super marauder tripower they had 2 different ones 1 for the Lincoln and another for the more common Mercury,this ad was for a reproduction of the Lincoln version.They were asking $2895 US for it,I guess they figured if someone needed one bad enough they would pay that kind of money,I can't imagine it but you never know some people think its only money.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My M/T mocked up in just the last 2 weeks on my extra 62 409 block and 690 heads (block came from Tom K.....:brow)
New carbs are 750 CFM edelbrocks. Intake was polished before I bought it and it came with mint carb linkage

Tom needs to tell me or someone tell me how much hood clearance I have to see if i need a different hood.

M/T possibly for my 1962 Impala SS Hardtop 500 HP - 409 -482 cubic inch stroker motor (the winning motor at Earlville, Iowa 348/409 drag race last year :D

Paul
IMG_0149-002.JPGIMG_0148-002.jpgIMG_0150-001.jpgIMG_0153-001.jpg

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought one off of eBay a year or two ago for 1100 and kept it a bit then decided I didn't want to mess with hood clearance issues so I advertised it on Craigslist and within an hour I had a guy driving from South of Portland Oregon which was a 150 mile drive for him each way to give me 2500 for it and told me he already had one and if I found anymore to call him and that he would give me 2500 for everyone I found no matter what I paid for it. I would say he had a thing for it. Only Z11 parts would get me excited as he was.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I bought one off of eBay a year or two ago for 1100 and kept it a bit then decided I didn't want to mess with hood clearance issues so I advertised it on Craigslist and within an hour I had a guy driving from South of Portland Oregon which was a 150 mile drive for him each way to give me 2500 for it and told me he already had one and if I found anymore to call him and that he would give me 2500 for everyone I found no matter what I paid for it. I would say he had a thing for it. Only Z11 parts would get me excited as he was.
Best part about hoarders is they die. Then we pick over their bones and spread their obsessions to the wind like their collection never happened. I do think its cool that people have that much money to buy something to set on the shelf never to be seen again. But why these intakes? They aren't that rare in relation to a number of other intakes like the Weiand I mentioned above. The worst part about hoarders is the parts/cars/stories of the fun had and shared with everyone die for another 20 years. If I bought every M/T power ram out there and set it on a shelf never to be seen or experienced by anyone else, then what would be the point? The only reason we are all here is to share the parts, cars and experiences with others. I'm not going to be impressed with one guy showing off 4-5 M/T Power Rams on a shelf. I'm going to spend way more time and energy with the guy making 4-5 passes with his motor topped with a single M/T Power Ram. One other aspect of this interesting $2500 buyer driving from South of Portland Oregon. He didn't buy the rarest of the M/T Power Ram's I found on ebay (and presented here for everyone before) made for a small port 348-409 head. So why just buy the large port seen for sale half-dozen times a year and ignor the small port which is by far the rarest of them all? Not a very smart buyer.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You better pay the $2k and make your $500 profit before Steve see's what you just said. LOL!

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Probably one of the coolest looking 409 intakes out there and they work great. M/T wouldn't have had his name on something that didn't work. Curt Harvey has said 40+HP over 881. I bracket raced a 476 with one for years in ANDRA Super Street 12.99-11.00, N/A in good air ran 11.00's @ 120+mph. Went 11.30's-11.40's @ 117-118+mph with 881, same engine. Worth every cent IMO:coffee

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Paul:

I'm pretty sure the hood on my '62 Biscayne will have to be cut to fit the breathers on the carbs of the M/T cross ram :(.

I'm looking to fit up another hood to cut since the one I have is already painted a nice shiny Black :).

I'll snap a pic of it with the carbs on (QFTs) and no air cleaner but I don't have the fenders fitted up as yet. Just eyeballing the setup makes me want to go with a hood I can feel comfortable cutting up. Don't have air cleaners identified as yet, what are you planning on going with?

Cheers! TomK

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Paul:

I'm pretty sure the hood on my '62 Biscayne will have to be cut to fit the breathers on the carbs of the M/T cross ram :(.

I'm looking to fit up another hood to cut since the one I have is already painted a nice shiny Black :).

I'll snap a pic of it with the carbs on (QFTs) and no air cleaner but I don't have the fenders fitted up as yet. Just eyeballing the setup makes me want to go with a hood I can feel comfortable cutting up. Don't have air cleaners identified as yet, what are you planning on going with?

Cheers! TomK
Run the car without the hood ......and you don’t have to cut it......!!!!!

427John

Well Known Member
Best part about hoarders is they die. Then we pick over their bones and spread their obsessions to the wind like their collection never happened. I do think its cool that people have that much money to buy something to set on the shelf never to be seen again. But why these intakes? They aren't that rare in relation to a number of other intakes like the Weiand I mentioned above. The worst part about hoarders is the parts/cars/stories of the fun had and shared with everyone die for another 20 years. If I bought every M/T power ram out there and set it on a shelf never to be seen or experienced by anyone else, then what would be the point? The only reason we are all here is to share the parts, cars and experiences with others. I'm not going to be impressed with one guy showing off 4-5 M/T Power Rams on a shelf. I'm going to spend way more time and energy with the guy making 4-5 passes with his motor topped with a single M/T Power Ram. One other aspect of this interesting $2500 buyer driving from South of Portland Oregon. He didn't buy the rarest of the M/T Power Ram's I found on ebay (and presented here for everyone before) made for a small port 348-409 head. So why just buy the large port seen for sale half-dozen times a year and ignor the small port which is by far the rarest of them all? Not a very smart buyer.
Makes me wonder if its the dude from Grants Pass that hits all the swap meets in the norhtwest with a trailer full of rare intakes,most of his stuff is factory Ford stuff but he does carry aftermarket stuff for any make if it is unusual/uncommon.His prices are so high you question if the stuff is really for sale or if it is just some sort of mobile show.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Probably one of the coolest looking 409 intakes out there and they work great. M/T wouldn't have had his name on something that didn't work. Curt Harvey has said 40+HP over 881. I bracket raced a 476 with one for years in ANDRA Super Street 12.99-11.00, N/A in good air ran 11.00's @ 120+mph. Went 11.30's-11.40's @ 117-118+mph with 881, same engine. Worth every cent IMO:coffee
No one doubts they produce more power over the 881 but everything made since does. The dual quad Edelbrock is way cheaper and produces more power than an 881. Then above the Eddy is probably McQuillen's 690hp or CRW single plane dual quad (for large port heads only) as I believe they are still to be had. Both of the later cost $400-600 less than current asking price for this ebay sale. So not sure about the worth every cent because power numbers aren't the best and tuning is a pain. I don't think anyone should spend more money to look different but go slower than what is currently available based upon the performance opinion given. These are historical race parts, meaning that back in the day they were impressive but now the only people that should be running them is anyone who is interested in them as historically/different but not fast. ;) When I pull that dual quad small port off my 348, I'll run it and my 881 over to have them flow tested as factory castings. My money is the modern small port flows much better than the 881. :write