Another 409 Cross Ram on Ebay for $2000

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It’s kinda difficult to make a direct comparison whether one would make more power without having it bolted to the head you intend to run. The intake port goes from the valve to the carburetor. Bolting the same intake to different heads will yield different results and vice versa.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
The 409 Edelbrock dual quad outflowed the 881, and the HP single 4 factory intake flat sucked on the ported heads I was using on my flow bench!

So has anyone ever flow bench tested a M/T crossram? I did my Pontiac M/T crossram that was converted to 65 and up heads(all were 64 and earlier heads). Kind of disappointed on how low it was even with decent sized Ram Air IV ports. Almost every intake I have outflowed it! The guy that modified it for late heads also added the balance tube between the sides that is supposed to help buffer pulses. But I probably will throw a motor together to put in the 65 GTO to put it on as I always liked a cross ram look. That or the Doug Nash/Warrior Pontiac tunnel ram I have.

Attachments

• topMT.JPG
    topMT.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 16
  • bottom Mt.JPG
    bottom Mt.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 16

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Paul here are some pics of the M/T cross ram with carbs in the engine bay of the '62 Biscayne:

MT crossram10.jpg

You might be able to see the heighth in relation to the cowl, it seems unlikely that a stock hood would fit :(.

MT crossram11.jpg

I like the "who needs a hood" comment, but just in case:

MT crossram hood.jpg

Cheers! TomK

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Steve was sure to hit me up about the single bid. I congratulated him on finding someone. The cool part is, these intakes keep coming up over and over for the same reason. Everyone thinks they are cool until they actually use them on the street over and over. Its like when someone puts a 5000 stall torque converter in their car or install a camshaft where the power comes on at 5000rpm, its really not a street part. So everyone runs it for a couple years and gives up on it. Then it sets for another 10 years and finally sold again. I call it the Vintage Performance parts cycle. I'm always surprised to see so many of these intakes on street cars.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 409 Edelbrock dual quad outflowed the 881, and the HP single 4 factory intake flat sucked on the ported heads I was using on my flow bench!

So has anyone ever flow bench tested a M/T crossram? I did my Pontiac M/T crossram that was converted to 65 and up heads(all were 64 and earlier heads). Kind of disappointed on how low it was even with decent sized Ram Air IV ports. Almost every intake I have outflowed it! The guy that modified it for late heads also added the balance tube between the sides that is supposed to help buffer pulses. But I probably will throw a motor together to put in the 65 GTO to put it on as I always liked a cross ram look. That or the Doug Nash/Warrior Pontiac tunnel ram I have.
Pretty sure your Pontiac Power Ram would flow better than a 409 version. Not 100% sure but it would seem like just about every M/T Power Ram (cross ram) intake made after the 348-409 Power Rams were made had rounded corners on the main plenum for each carb instead of the squared off corners. Would be the first thing I would do is run down the street to the flow bench and find out.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like my neighbor at the race at Eddyville, IA!!!!!!!!!!
Did Paul happen to tell you all that he won the race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Earville and yes we heard roomers that he may have won. I have to watch the video another 1000 times before I'll believe it. LOL!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Here’s a ton of information on the Mickey Thompson I don’t know if Bossman has ever gotten further into it but makes for a good review and there was one guy who did have a Mickey Thompson cross ram under the hood and a 62 I want to see it was Kevin but I don’t remember if he lowered the motor an inch I’m still looking for that one

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/cnc-head-development-bwr.25343/page-8

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It’s kinda difficult to make a direct comparison whether one would make more power without having it bolted to the head you intend to run. The intake port goes from the valve to the carburetor. Bolting the same intake to different heads will yield different results and vice versa.
That is true. Years ago I had the flow bench guy ask me about which carburetor I was going to run and I told him at that time whatever I found cheap. It is a valid point. Everything is related to everything else.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't want to get into some silly argument, just speaking from real life experience, the high port 690/583 M/T Power Ram ran great on the street for about 10 years with no problems at all, ended up making around 525hp N/A in a very conservative build, 476 inch, pump gas, 10.25 comp, mild solid flat tappet, I guess it boils down to being around people who know what they're doing with engines.

Attachments

• 2006 Nostalgia Drags Willowbank Qld 09.JPG
    2006 Nostalgia Drags Willowbank Qld 09.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC03213.JPG
    DSC03213.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No one doubts they produce more power over the 881 but everything made since does. The dual quad Edelbrock is way cheaper and produces more power than an 881. Then above the Eddy is probably McQuillen's 690hp or CRW single plane dual quad (for large port heads only) as I believe they are still to be had. Both of the later cost $400-600 less than current asking price for this ebay sale. So not sure about the worth every cent because power numbers aren't the best and tuning is a pain. I don't think anyone should spend more money to look different but go slower than what is currently available based upon the performance opinion given. These are historical race parts, meaning that back in the day they were impressive but now the only people that should be running them is anyone who is interested in them as historically/different but not fast. ;) When I pull that dual quad small port off my 348, I'll run it and my 881 over to have them flow tested as factory castings. My money is the modern small port flows much better than the 881. :write
Don't matter what it flows. What a combo runs on the 1/4 is all that matters IMO. I think one of the biggest problems is people that have no idea how to tune or make an engine run express their own opinion as gospel. The other major issue is lack of suspension knowledge, not always will the car with most HP win.

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Paul here are some pics of the M/T cross ram with carbs in the engine bay of the '62 Biscayne:

View attachment 82647

You might be able to see the heighth in relation to the cowl, it seems unlikely that a stock hood would fit :(.

View attachment 82648

I like the "who needs a hood" comment, but just in case:

View attachment 82649

Cheers! TomK

From my experience, there is about 10" of hood clearance, as measured from the top front of the china wall. I've found that any taller and it hits the hood braces, at least on 62-63s. 64s are less due to the different hood bracing. JMO