New Posting

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
that knowledge will probably die right along with all the stashed 409 parts in garages...the youth of today doesn't know what a 409 is and they most likely only see a few in their lifetime...most don't even know what one is...it's all LS crap and drifting...if more of these cars and parts were sold instead of horded mebbe kids would learn and love 'em...that thought struck me when I was up at Gerry's house...a member here blew thru and bought all the 409 stuff so that'll never see the light of day nor will his racecar...Gerry's collection was for naught, just made me think...not trying to make any statement but it rings true...5K for an crossram intake for a DZ motor, try and find a 427 4 bolt block at a swap meet, just ridiculous...I've hot rodded all my life and feel saddened for the youth that never gets to know one of these oil guzzers...same thing with porcelain signs, try and find an original at a swap meet...

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
that knowledge will probably die right along with all the stashed 409 parts in garages...the youth of today doesn't know what a 409 is and they most likely only see a few in their lifetime...most don't even know what one is...it's all LS crap and drifting...if more of these cars and parts were sold instead of horded mebbe kids would learn and love 'em...that thought struck me when I was up at Gerry's house...a member here blew thru and bought all the 409 stuff so that'll never see the light of day nor will his racecar...Gerry's collection was for naught, just made me think...not trying to make any statement but it rings true...5K for an crossram intake for a DZ motor, try and find a 427 4 bolt block at a swap meet, just ridiculous...I've hot rodded all my life and feel saddened for the youth that never gets to know one of these oil guzzers...same thing with porcelain signs, try and find an original at a swap meet...
My generation (born in late 70's will be one of the last if we don't band together to teach others. I've given lots of parts away to guys trying to build and trying to keep our hobby alive. Had a local guy that needed head, intake, carb and air cleaner for his 348 and I just gave them to him. If its collecting dust, its not doing me any good. Especially now when the after market makes it so easy to get parts for these motors. In high school I drove my 1964 Impala to school every day and worked at Taco John's to pay for all of the work I did to it. That car was over 30 years old when I got it and it was due to the local Impala club giving me parts and pointers that my car dreams came true. There is no way I can learn everything there is to know about these motors but we can all share on here and pass the knowledge and parts when possible. So long as we keep helping each other out others will learn.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My two kids mother and i devorced against my wishes when Brittany was 12 and Blake was 5 and i will take the blame for it. So, from that point on they went to the drag strip nearly as often as i did and they were my best pit crew and still are. My daughter was the first to get a 409 valve cover tatooed on her forearm which some may have seen in Bowling Green. Then the son got the same thing soon after. I don’t have to worry about the cars, trucks, guns, and the parts when I’m gone cause they already know who gets what. They are very aware of there grandfather’s accomplishment’s and of mine so i know they will carry it on.:) And congrats to Bob on 6409 members!!! Thanks Phil for the reminder!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My two kids mother and i devorced against my wishes when Brittany was 12 and Blake was 5 and i will take the blame for it. So, from that point on they went to the drag strip nearly as often as i did and they were my best pit crew and still are. My daughter was the first to get a 409 valve cover tatooed on her forearm which some may have seen in Bowling Green. Then the son got the same thing soon after. I don’t have to worry about the cars, trucks, guns, and the parts when I’m gone cause they already know who gets what. They are very aware of there grandfather’s accomplishment’s and of mine so i know they will carry it on.:)
My oldest boy is 3 (yah I started late) and between him and his brother loving to watch all of the old school racing and car stuff dad does I can only image how much they will take to it when they get older. I just wonder who will want the wagon and who will want the convertible. I'll let them figure that out. LOL!

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The other side of the "hoarder". If no one had picked up the stuff years ago and put it away it would have been recycled and gone. In 1976 I dug a 63 QB long block out of an iron pile the owner was going to scrap. Another 340hp engine was already in the scrap yard. Bought one 409 truck engine at a farm sale. Bought an old boat out of a shed and pulled the engine. I also bought a couple from a guy that just resold stuff that would have left my area. In my experience the ones complaining about hoarders want to get what they want cheap. I squandered my money of old car stuff few others cared about.
Now it is LS motors in everything. Cheap salvage yard packages that work. No different than $150 350s when I got out of high school in 1975. The sad thing is now original survivor cars are LS, air ride built to make them "better" but that is where the car market is....

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hoarding is the persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions, regardless of their actual value. In most cases there is little to no use of the objects other than to calm ones own personal mental anxiety by having them.
I think I'm in the clear since I get rid of stuff all of the time yet I do buy better stuff to replace it. LOL! The majority of the people on this site are buying things to use. I don't know many of us on here that spend more time show/tell then cruising or racing. Being passionate about things creates healthy collections that preserve history and knowledge. I figure if its sat on the shelf for a couple years and hasn't been touched then its time to sell it. I sold off and gave away a bunch of stuff last year.

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob, congrats to you on getting 6409 people to join up to this great site that you have created. Long live 348-409.com. If not for this site, and never getting to know you, I would still be HOARDING forty years worth of parts in my attic, my garage, and my CHICKEN COOP., and under the bed:appl Mike

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
my post wasn't meant to be disrespectful but to point out the obvious that we are all guilty of...yeah, I've got a spare 474" motor but I also have a 61 bubbletop with a 283, we all know were it's going:D... got a blown 427 on a rack without a car for it...my point was that kids can't find any of the old stuff we covet so they go to the dark side and use 8 coils...we all know real men use 1...