Future 409 Build

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just starting to kick around ideas for my future 409 build. Starting with a truck block. Probably will clean up at .030" over. I will use either a set of 333s that have 2.19 / 1.7 valves or my Edelbrocks. Crank wise, my machine shop may have a good, abandoned 396/427 steel crank or a friend has one also. I checked yesterday and see that Show Cars has pistons for the 3.76" stroke. These cranks would be had for not much over what it will cost to cut the mains down. Intended use is street driving and the hopes of someday taking a blast down a dragstrip(maybe). It will be going into my 63 BelAir with fiberglass front end and a four speed.(if I ever get it done after all my other projects). My main question is, is it worth using the 396/427 crank? The price would be right!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim there have been many high reving 09's built using that stroke.Remember that the counter weights will also need to be cut down for block clearence.When ordering pistons,go for the ones for the 6.385 rod get the longer rod.Since you're using a truck block,order pistons for an 11.5 cr.I would also say to use the Edelbrock head since you already have them.We can talk cam later.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Does anyone know what the diameter difference is between a 409 crank and a 348 crank? Or how much needs to be removed from the 396 crank? I am supposed to be picking up a 396 forged crank and I am going to have it cut to fit my 409 block. I only have a 348 crank to take dimensions from for the crank grinder.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
They[348-409] are the same,Jim. The mains will need to be cut .250,rod journals are the same.The snout can be turned down to the same size as the small block.or left alone but then you'll need to purchase a new timing cover[Show Cars has them] because the seal is larger.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Don! For some reason I thought the counter weights on a 348 crank were smaller in diameter than a 409 crank. This makes it easier, I'll drop off the 348 crank with the 396 crank and he can just match the counter weight dia. I think I'll also have the snout machined to the W /small block size. Easier to remember what balancer and timing cover to use.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yes, the mains and the rear flange I was aware. Once I get the crank cut and save up some more money. I'll need you guidance for the rods and pistons Don. :D

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Mr. Sullivan, since we are in the same general area....who do you use for your engine machine work?
Where are you located?
I normally use D.G. Nicholas in Scranton for most of my machine work. I am going to have Chris Fritz, in Wilkes-Barre area, do the crankshaft work. I'm told he can also balance everything, when the time comes.

Jcmitch3

Im in Milford...So Scranton or Wilkes-Barre is easy. I've used 5 star crankshaft on Port for some stuff in the past...

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm in Lake Ariel, So I've got a little bit of a drive to get to the machine shop. But I was working out of Wilkes-Barre and now working from home.