Has any body done this install?....I am sure you have.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Getting ready to install my 409 engine and transmission back in the car. Has anyone installed the engine and trans (4-speed) together? I am by myself and did the 4-speed install once from under, with a jack. It took a couple tries and some throw-out bearing issues. I think it can be done as a unit. I have a std cherry picker, good height, but would like hear from the group. Thanks..........

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You can do it, I've done it plenty of times. Distributor should be removed, hole plugged, and if you don't have an engine chain leveling device the engine should be hung from a single chain with a carb plate. If your doing this without the leveler get your buddy over because you have to tip the engine a bunch of times as you lower to install.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe it’s just me, but I never felt comfortable pulling my engine using a carb plate on my aluminum manifold. I fab’d a pull plate with chains on the corners. I pulled the 4 corner intake bolts and replaced with 4 eye bolts. I also used a load leveler (which I borrowed or rented).

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Maybe it’s just me, but I never felt comfortable pulling my engine using a carb plate on my aluminum manifold. I fab’d a pull plate with chains on the corners. I pulled the 4 corner intake bolts and replaced with 4 eye bolts. I also used a load leveler (which I borrowed or rented).
I've never been comfortable using the carb studs on any intake to lift motor either. Better safe than sorry.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I've never been comfortable using the carb studs on any intake to lift motor either. Better safe than sorry.
Worked at an engine shop in the 80's and we pulled many different engines with a carb plate on aluminum
and cast iron intakes and never a problem.....:good.....sometimes they would hang in the air for hours.......:brush

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess the question is, did anyone ever have an engine and transmission fall off the cherry picker and what failed?

I’ve always used the leveller and done many alone, including a couple with an ironglide and engine, used carb studs. Never had an aluminum intake though.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I would prefer to install an engine by myself.
I understand that and have done many alone, the worst being a Sunbeam Tiger with the Ford 289.......:facepalm
My buddy Pete and I have been friends for 57+ years and have done many re/re, we even worked
at the same GM dealerships in Toronto but never at the same time.....:scratch

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
I will jump on the side of many pulls with a carb plate and no problems...but to each their own. Obviously threads need to be in good shape, and bolts long enough to use all the threads, but not bottom out.

Didn't see it mentioned, but remove the trans crossmember. You most likely did, but again didn't see it mentioned