409 exhaust system

rich hunter

I’m at the point of doing the exhaust system. 409 , 583 heads Wilson 1 7/8 tubes. Hydraulic roller and rockers. Looking to buy a pre built system, any recommendations? Thanks.

rich hunter

Yes correct, would definitely need to fabricate from the collector back some. I can do that, difficult to bend the backend. What size diameter pipe are you using

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a 2 &1/2 inch aluminized tailpipes on my 62 Impala SS 409 -500 HP stroker motor Hardtop. Very little extra room by rear tires.. Has small Magnaflow mufflers very noisy at lower speed and tough sounding. My roller cam does not idle below 1000 RPM.
I would not run 3 inch on the street -I bet they would rattle against the floor. My pipes tailpipes were bent at a local muffler shop + installing the Magnaflow mufflers.

I used prebent 2 inch factory aluminized tailpipes from Show Cars on my 62 SS 409 convertible with factory big tube cast iron manifolds. Fit was excellent. I installed them.

I just replaced headers on my 62 SS 409 Hardtop (with the 2 & 1/2 inch tailpipes) - I replaced my 2 inch Jardine headers with Walker 2 Inch headers to the original mufflers and tailpipes,.
Had muffler shop redo the connection from my Walker headers to my Magnaflow mufflers. This connection from the mufflers to the Walker headers has to be bent in a tube bender... The location of the Walker outlet and open cap dictates the one of a kind bends that are necessary.
I could take pictures on my hoist.

Paul

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
502 cubic inch 9.7-1 motor
Full length tube header(2 1/8 primary)
3 inch mandrel bent all the way back in factory location
3 inch 2 chamber flowmaster 40

compression and camshaft can make all the difference in the world to sound... example L88 or ZL-1

outside

inside