348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When you take it to a real engine builder just have them magna flux that area after they clean the block. That will tell the truth if there is a crack. I say it’s a casting line but it is rather prevalent. And as Don said You weren’t mixing coolant or water in with the oil. Good luck man that truck is spectacular! That is a definition of an old-school hot rod in my book. If you give up on this project and you need to get rid of the truck just let me know and I’ll come pick it up (A)... LOL:dunno2:happy

Last edited:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
When you take it to a real engine builder just have the magna flux that area after they clean the block. That will tell the truth if there is a crack. I say it’s a casting line but it is rather prevalent. And as Don said You weren’t mixing coolant or water in with the oil. Good luck man that truck is spectacular! That is a definition of an old-school hot rod in my book. If you give up on this project and you need to get rid of the truck just let me know and I’ll come pick it up (A)... LOL:dunno2:happy
LOL LOL ;)

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The carbon buildup on top of the pistons and combustion areas will happen quickly especially with less than optimum air fuel ratio,but the stuff on the block in the crankcase and timing chain area is old and the result of minimal cleaning.I've seen cleaner blocks cleaned out in the yard with a coffee can of gas and a paintbrush.If you've been there and done that let me get an amen.
Amen, cleaned many of parts with a can of gas and a paint brush no engine blocks though.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The carbon buildup on top of the pistons and combustion areas will happen quickly especially with less than optimum air fuel ratio,but the stuff on the block in the crankcase and timing chain area is old and the result of minimal cleaning.I've seen cleaner blocks cleaned out in the yard with a coffee can of gas and a paintbrush.If you've been there and done that let me get an amen.
A poor mans parts washer is the bottom half of a one gallon milk jug 1" of charcoal lighter fluid and a 1" paint brush.

427John

Well Known Member
Its surprising the amount of scoring bearings can have before they affect oil pressure,as long as there is an area where clearances are still close to spec it will still hold oil pressure.My experience has been that unless it was a super high mile engine with lots of bearing wear by the time you see a noticeable oil pressure drop it was due to a spun or stacked bearing and was soon making noise too.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Just to confirm, the scoring the bearings are showing is from the dirt and grime due to the fact that they didn't tank the engine? of do you think that some of the cracked piston particles are the culprit?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Those bearings were from dirt from improper cleaning methods being used.The piston failure was from the over rev and valve contact.It didn't help anything by having those cheap cast pistons in there.While your replacing parts,scrap those weak stock rods as well.Let's build it to last this time.A truck as beautiful as yours deserves nothing less.