How long will an M22 Muncie hold up to 500hp?

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I don’t know if I should assume..... but I am assuming you use the clutch assisted transmission, the G Force .....so when using a G force clutch assisted transmission , what kind of clutch do you need to have..... is it a twin disc or a single.........?????

Any clutch single or dual (or triple if you’re ballin’) I have a McLeod dual disc street clutch, but it hits waaaaay too hard for strip use. Gotta have tires that’ll spin with that clutch or it’ll grenade everything. Gforce makes two versions clutch assist and non, the ‘clutchless’ boxes have bevels machined into the blocks on the slider, ‘assist’ boxes like mine have square blocks (no bevel) so you can upshift or downshift. You can’t downshift the ‘clutchless’ boxes, drag use only.

Edit: trying to post pics, photobucket sucks.

Last edited:

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
Forgive me for further hijacking this thread, but there seems to be some G-Force guys here. Mine is clutch assist and I shift with a quick dab of clutch. Some I race with say that’s unnecessary. Seems if it wasn’t they wouldn’t make a clutch assist and non assist.

Thoughts?

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You may shift without bumping the clutch...however it will not perform as a true clutchless. Your gear box will momentarily be out of gear between gears. When out of gear the car is not accelerating. A true clutchless is never out of gear and generally .1-.15 quicker

I feel like the definition of ‘clutchless’ would only apply to a compound or planetary trans like a Lenco, constant engagement like you said. All sliding gear transmissions hit neutral between shifts. Maybe I’m using the term ‘clutchless’ loosely or wrong??

What’s trans is in your Barracuda, Russ?

Last edited:

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
The Nash racing straight cut gear 5 speed I picked up years ago was used in a Stocker but 4th and 5th were 1:1 so legal and 5th was not used. It was just stronger than other 4 speeds. Now it's 2.80, 2.22, 1.77,1.33, 1.0.

Lots of my Pontiac buddies have broken Muncies and ST-10s with a healthy street strip motor and sticky tires.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
There’s your trans superstocker!!^^^^

1000 bucks and you’re in business!! For a long time if you’re disciplined. Run it til you blow it up, and rebuild or step up!