Richmond 5 speed in a 60 Impala

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does anyone here know if body mods are necessary to put one in a 60? I read that the shifter is about 2-3 inches further back.

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I’m sure Paul will chime in on this real quick..... and I’m sure if you do a search you’ll find the answer......I’m pretty sure that’s what he has behind his stroker motor
Paul’s ride is a 62..........

Last edited:

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe that someone here did one and built the bench seat with a notch to clear shifter and had it upholstered so it looked pretty factory when done. Don’t believe it was a 60 but no reason it wouldn’t work there too.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I think Dan "Tripower", did a Richmond in a 61, and possibly a 60 Pontiac, but search Dan's threads to see his builds, but isn't the 60 a different floor pan.

I believe 59 and 60s are the same......Yet different than the 62 the frames are the same for the most part

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11

my comments in the above link still apply. No real floor modification needed......Move the tunnel cover back - you are done....

Richmond 5 speed 1 to 1 in 5th gear I thought moves the shifter only - that is not true( it stays at the factory location with a Hurst 5 speed shifter). Just remounted my shifter with new clutch, new bell housing and updated Richmond 5 speed by Lindsey’s Ring & Pinion.
I also have a Richmond 5 speed in my 62 SS 409 convertible - just starting to drive it after a 6 year frame off restoration

The Richmond 5 speed 1:1 in my 62 Impala SS 409 convertible & my 62 SS 409 Hardtop (with 3:08 posi 2800 rpm at 70) and the Richmond 5 speed and 6 speed overdrive transmissions are the same length transmission as Borg Warner and Muncie 4 speeds. The Long 5 speed shifter is back 2 & 1/2 inches from factory and “will fit a bench seat”. I have pictures of a 61 & 62 Bench seat Belairs one 409 one 348 with RIchmond 6 speeds with overdrive and they fit..... No floor modifications to the tunnel ( like TKO and Tremec requires..... I do not need these transmissions)

I just updated my Richmond 5 speed in my 62 impala 500 HP striker motor shifts as good or even better than my Muncie 4 speeds and the shifter fits my factory SS shift plate.

I have 3 Richmond 5 speed transmissions - 2 in my 62’s.
Best decision ever made vs a TKO or Tremec Transmission

Paul

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks your reply.
@ Paul, I read your prior posts including the piece above. Since the OD Super Street model is the only version still in production it would be my choice transmission should I decide to go after this, is this model any larger or are you aware of any issues in it's installation in to a 60?

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The transmission lengths and shifter locations are:

Borg Warner 4 speed and Muncie 4 speed - 21.5 inches (transmission length) Hurst shifter location = 17.5 inches
Richmond 5 speed (1:1 in 5th 3.27 low) - 21.57 inches (transmission length) Hurst shifter location = 20.0 inches
Richmond 6 speed (or 5 speed ) overdrive in 5th or 6th - 21.75 inches (transmission length ) Long 5 or 6 speed shifter location = 20.75 inches
Tremec TKO 6 speed - 24 to 27 inches transmission length - shifter location = 19.5 inches

A few comments on x frame cars - top of Tremectransmission case requires complete removal of the entire tunnel from the firewall to front of a bench seat and raising it up to 2 inches. The overlength of the Tremec - almost 3 inches longer -either eliminates the parking brake or requires major modification. this does not even consider how close the driveshaft yoke is to the front of the X frame

I suggest if not using one the factory tunnel cover for 61 to 63 or the 60 4 speed tunnel cover. They help the shifter boot mounting and help the fit of the shifter used.
Just move the tunnel cover back to fit the shifter location

61-63 factory tunnel cover
https://show-cars.com/product/4345
60 Chevy 4 speed tunnel cover
https://show-cars.com/product/4344

• See the attached picture(1st Picture) of a 6 speed in a 62 Impala -first picture note how the tunnel cover fits around the 6 speed Long Shifter
  • 2nd & 3rd pictures -5 speed in a 62 Chevy bubble top (This 409 bubble top was changed to 6 speed(and sold) and I bought the 5 speed from this 62 Chevy bubble top) -the point is that the shifter for a 6 speed only moves back 3/4 to 1 inch for a 6 speed transmission note the clearance from the bench seat
  • 3rd & 4th picture - 5 speed with Hurst 5 speed shifter in my 62 SS 409 convertible (shifter moves back 3/4 to 1 inch for 6 speed )
Paul
20180418_122824.jpg62 Bubble top 017.jpgDSCN6690.JPGP1040772_tn.jpgP1040771_tn.jpg

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I would highly recommend SST's Tremec kits. They are complete. I put a TKO 600 .64 OD 5th in my '61 Vette this past spring. The only modification I had to do was cut the bottom of the fiberglass ashtray cup off. Shifter comes up where it should. Great people to deal with.
Here is a link to a kit for B bodies. They modify the trans to have shifters come up in factory location.
https://shiftsst.com/blog/post/gm-b-body-1958-1970.html

Last edited:

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
C1's have an X frame too along with a perimeter frame

Attachments

• IMG-2463.jpg
    IMG-2463.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-2464.jpg
    IMG-2464.jpg