Disc conversion problems...

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Yes I tested the booster as you described, it with the engine off the pedal is firmer, but with a lot of pressure it will go to the floor. It gives the appearance of needing to be bleed, but after bleeding and pressure numerous times it never improves.

Reactions: Tim

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
YOU HAVE AIR OR BAD MASTER. I WOULD SAY AIR, YOU HAVE TO BLEED IT, PROBABLY 4-5 QUARTS OF FLUID HOW MUCH FLUID HAVE YOU USED SO FAR?

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I have ordered a new master cylinder,mine came with the car when I bought it.i have gone thru seven 12 oz. containers of DOT 5 fluid.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Did you used a conversion kit or did you piece together the parts to upgrade to discs brakes? I ran into the same thing when converting my 63 to discs brakes turned out to be a rod adjustment on the pedal and using a power bleeder and she was good to go.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Check the hole in the back of the master cylinder also. Some have a shallow hole and some have a deeper hole where the pushrod goes. If it is a deep hole you have the wrong master that is for manual brakes so the rod does not fall out. The correct master should have the shallow hole. Power brake is typically 1 1/8" bore manual usually is 1" bore master cylinder.