Jet boats

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Which beer drinker there are you?
I was 8 years old when the picture of my Jet boat was taken back in 1985. The owner tracked me down and contacted me 2 weeks ago on a jet boat forum I'm on when he seen my jet boat photos. Told me everything he knew about the boat and sent me a bunch of pictures he had taken back then. Pretty cool to get such details about the boat from 35 years ago. I have been joking with the local jet boat group that I will hand them Mullets when they board my boat. Now I have proof they were rocking mullets back in the day with this boat. So cool. I'll be headed down to Lake of the Ozarks when I get the boat done. The original owner lives south of there and I want to take him for a ride.

Robert Jacobson

I had a jet boat with a 455 olds quite a few years ago. A guy owed me some money so I took the boat as payment. Very inefficient compared to my V-drive. The V-drive was powered by a 480 inch bored and stroked 409 that ran reverse rotation. That engine now resides in my 55 Chevy running normal rotation. The Stevens V-drive now has a very nasty 509 cubic inch BBC. After I put in new carpet and painted the jet I sold it. Both jets and V-drives have their pros and cons, but after owning both, I'm strictly a V-drive guy.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had a jet boat with a 455 olds quite a few years ago. A guy owed me some money so I took the boat as payment. Very inefficient compared to my V-drive. The V-drive was powered by a 480 inch bored and stroked 409 that ran reverse rotation. That engine now resides in my 55 Chevy running normal rotation. The Stevens V-drive now has a very nasty 509 cubic inch BBC. After I put in new carpet and painted the jet I sold it. Both jets and V-drives have their pros and cons, but after owning both, I'm strictly a V-drive guy.
I had a 40' Cigar boat picked out but the wife pointed out we would have a hard time storing it. We both love to fish for bass in the shallows and we live right down the street from the Des Moines River where we spend most of our time. Jet boat is perfect for the shallows and the river levels that continue to go up and down. Though I live right at Saylorville (Iowa's second largest lake) we really don't spend our time on the lake as much as we do the river. If I wanted to race I would probably stick to Hondo jets but my boat is set up more for skiing and my pump is a Jacuzzi WJ so its a good pump but smaller than a Berkley Pump intake.