'63 Powerglide Stops working when Hot

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My SIL's '63 powerglide stops working when it gets hot. He lets it sit for an hour or so and it's good to go. It doesn't slip so
I'm thinking its a shift solenoid. Fluid is topped off.

Comments?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My SIL's '63 powerglide stops working when it gets hot. He lets it sit for an hour or so and it's good to go. It doesn't slip so
I'm thinking its a shift solenoid. Fluid is topped off.

Comments?
Get a 700R4. That's the solution to my Powerglide that works great. :D

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What do you mean specifically by it doesn't work? At all? Drive, reverse?

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
He drove it around the neighborhood, stopped at a stop sign then it wouldn't go forward or reverse. He sat there for about an hour, started the engine, put in drive and was able to drive it home without issues. The following weekend it happened again.

Its a 4 door sedan 6 cyl, bone stock and wants to keep the powerglide. So before he has it rebuilt I thought I'd ask here for possible easy fix.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Other than fluid that was used to top off, how old is the fluid in tranny? Old fluid that’s really degraded can cause tranny not to shift.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't know how old the fluid is. He bought the car a couple of months ago.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Overhaul the thing,it's loosing internal pressure when the fluid gets hot and thins out.There is no shift solonoid in a Powerglide.I like Randy's solution better.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My guess is its getting to hot. That could be a number of things. So long as its not an early air cooled powerglide then you first need to make sure you have fluid, its flowing good and that its not getting hot. Get a cheap laser temp gun and make it quit working again. Then check the temps of the lines (if not air cooled). Also you could have a blockage in the radiator if the trans cooler is in the radiator then you have to check to make sure its not getting to hot there as well.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Next time it quits turn on the heater. That will lower the temp...maybe 10 degrees or so.