Nasty weather

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Got into my driveway a little after noon from golf. Could see storm coming. Was setting there waiting for mailman when the rain and wind hit. When small branches started hitting the vehicle I headed for the garage. Could see about 6'. Probably went on for 45 minutes or so. Power went off. We took a drive to check things out later. Lots of machine sheds flattened. Grain bins scattered in the fields. Beans and corn looked bad, some corn broken off. Lots of poles broken off and wires down. Even some big stuff tore off the huge metal supports. Got home about 15 minutes ago and power is on. A guy that used to work for me had the roof torn completely off his house and his garage ripped off. The same thing happened to him in 2011. They said that the straight line wind was 145 mph for a half hour or so back then. Today around 110 mph. Lot's of small stuff to pick up tomorrow.

Last edited:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Damn Dave a mess out your way glad all is ok with you. We had a slight brush by that small hurricane last weekend and at the height of it I heard a load crashing. We have a small grain drying and storage facility across the railroad tracks and one of the tall elevators had come down on the tracks.
Robert
5800789B-1DFF-4C6B-BA66-B11392269B99.jpeg92F1D65B-53FB-4446-B3AD-C234E8CC2448.jpeg

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Got into my driveway a little after noon from golf. Could see storm coming. Was setting there waiting for mailman when the rain and wind hit. When small branches started hitting the vehicle I headed for the garage. Could see about 6'. Probably went on for 45 minutes or so. Power went off. We took a drive to check things out later. Lots of machine sheds flattened. Grain bins scattered in the fields. Beans and corn looked bad, some corn broken off. Lots of poles broken off and wires down. Even some big stuff tore off the huge metal supports. Got home about 15 minutes ago and power is on. A guy that used to work for me had the roof torn completely off his house and his garage ripped off. The same thing happened to him in 2011. They said that the straight line wind was 145 mph for a half hour or so back then. Today around 110 mph. Lot's of small stuff to pick up tomorrow.

That sucks but if nobody got hurt or worse you can replace stuff.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Rained hard here last night, we were just getting ready to order dinner at Texas Road House with some friends when the power went out. They closed the restaurant and sent us on our way, all traffic signals were out for several miles when leaving.