Roller cam cores

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It seems that if anyone wants a roller cam for a W engine must be prepared to wait a while.I spoke to folks at both Comp and Lunati yesturday and neither has any expectation of getting the necessary cam blanks from their supplier who makes the blanks for just about all cam grinders until late September at the earliest.Just a heads up.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Don check with Bullet. Years ago when I built my 470" they were the only ones that had cores that were not 4-7 swaps for 409s. They also have all Harold Brooshire's Ultradyne lobes.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I think that we have a suitable [sorta ] cam found,it's just a straight pattern cam and in this case I wanted a split pattern cam due to the cyl.head package and the broader torque pattern that they usually provide.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There are instances where a single pattern is best but it depends largely on the "balance" of flow between the intake and exhaust port flow.This particular 348 will have a better head package[379's out,333's with bigger 2.09-1.72 valves,lightly pocket ported in] would have a slightly broader power band,but in this light street truck he won't miss anything.It'll never see drag strip duty but I hate to leave anything on the table.Time's a factor and he'll be back in the truck for some late summer-fall crusing.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
There are instances where a single pattern is best but it depends largely on the "balance" of flow between the intake and exhaust port flow.This particular 348 will have a better head package[379's out,333's with bigger 2.09-1.72 valves,lightly pocket ported in] would have a slightly broader power band,but in this light street truck he won't miss anything.It'll never see drag strip duty but I hate to leave anything on the table.Time's a factor and he'll be back in the truck for some late summer-fall crusing.

You should get consultant pay Don....... you da man.....!!!!!:clap

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Based on head flow my 470/409 has a single pattern 251/251@ 0.050 Ultradyne/Bullet solid roller. And did not gain anything flipping 1.8 rockets on one side or the other.

My Pontiac Ram Air IV has a "reverse split" more on the intake that picked it up over any of the normal split or single patterns I had in it but the exhaust/intake ratio is 85%.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It seems like a lot of the Isky 409 rollers are single pattern, and there are some pretty stout combos out there using them. So I'm keeping open-minded to some extent. Over the years, I have never had an Isky that disappointed in any type of engine, but that's pretty subjective. I'm hoping these guys with dyno results can chime in, too.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Many of David Vizard's small block cam recommendations are straight pattern but that's also using one of his head packages.He also uses a very tight lobe seperation pattern such as 108 for the 3.48 stroke,and reducing it further as the stroke increases like 106 for the 3.75 and 104 for the 4 inch stroke.The dyno sheets that are shown do show a very impressive torque curve .Just something else to think about.The 817's that Dave Mills did for me[more like works of art] would likely work best with a straight pattern cam but I'm not tearing it back down to change what's in there now.