INSTALL OIL FILL TUBE

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I need to install the oil fill tube in a new eldebrock intake (SBC) Any suggestions on how to press in without damaging the tube? Seems to be a fairly tight(snug) fit. I'm installing a nice black one I bought from Paragon Corvette that has the bracket for the carb spring, the cheap edelbrock one is chrome and doesn't have the spring bracket. don't want to bend or scratch it.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Cam bearing driver may work, I just find a bushing driver that fits snug inside the tube then it won't damage the tube.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It would be good to do that and use my hydraulic press but it's too difficult to get the manifold to sit right in a press
I'll take a look at my race drivers and see if one fits well

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The trouble you can run into when doing the2x4 is if you get it off an edge a little it can damage the tube plus they're tight enough that they don't go in that easily. My new tube feels like a little better fit then the edelbrock chrome one. The edelbrock chrome ne was very, very tight

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I freeze the tube overnight and warm the manifold slightly use a block of wood and tap lightly always goes in good :clap

I tried heating the intake around the hole with a small propane torch but it didn't help, but that was with the chrome tube. Ithink the chrome tube was/is too tight. Probably the chrome makes it oversize

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wish these guys would make the tubes with the spring bracket, I like it that way. I don't want to buy some billet bracket that you put under a manifold bolt

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When I had intake powder coated I removed tube and used wood to reinstall , no problem . Yours might be tighter ???

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I tried heating the intake around the hole with a small propane torch but it didn't help, but that was with the chrome tube. Ithink the chrome tube was/is too tight. Probably the chrome makes it oversize
Mark the depth with tape and then polish the portion of chrome off that goes in the well with a crocus red disc with on a air die tool .If you have a cailpers you can compare to stock tube. Powder coating and chrome even paint make for a tighter fit on something that fit before .

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Might be easier wit the Paragon unit since it's painted as original. The chrome one can go in the trash. I left them at home so I can't try right now
I'm thinking the tube was made to spec then chrome plated so that would add a lot of thickness/ I doubt edelbrock or their Chinese supplier gives a rats azz

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I used my aluminum bearing race driver to install the tubes. I usually smear a very light coat of gray silicone sealer on the tube. The gray blends in better.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've tried everything including a piece of all-thread and big washers. I always have to shave the stupid chrome ones first, they are way too fat.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like this is way too complicated, this is post #19.:poke:poke:poke
I’d say line it up carefully and use a block of wood and tap gently with a small FH until it starts in the hole solid, then try
The BFH.
Or wait until Phil shows up and enlightens is further. :D:D