oil leak at header flange

Triple900

I have a 61 with a 409.... I believe it was redone in 2009 . I have Doug's headers. recently I am seeing oil seepage bubbling between the header gasket and the flange between the exhaust ports about midway. I cant see any oil coming from the valve cover gaskets. it been too hot here in florida to drive but start it up and get it to temp in the driveway. I thought I would just burn off the seepage but when I run it up to about 3000 rpm for a period it must drip down on the header because there is a significant oil smoke . I would have though if the valve seals were dried out and hard the oil would be burnt in combustion and I dont see any oil smoke coming out of the exhaust.... Who makes the best header gasket and is there a sealant for the gasket? it looks like the passenger side would be easy and I think I have enough room on the drivers side to change the gasket thanks

427John

Well Known Member
Pull the valve covers you’ll probably find they are split at the bolt holes and make sure the gaskets are under the tabs on the outside
I agree oil would not be coming thru the header gaskets it has to be coming from above,I bet if you look closely at the area between the valve cover and header it will be wet with oil.even the slightest film if continuous will build up there.