I HATE THIS SHXT PART 3

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The latest situation with my 57 Chevy. Whatever oil pan this is from has the drain plug in the very front, can't get it (plug) out since it hits hard against the 57 steering linkage. With the wheels straight ahead provides the max clearance, about 1/2" between steering and pan, turn hard left or right puts steering up against the pan. I managed to get the oil plug out by prying on the steering with a pry bar. But I can't get it back in now. I have to either drop the steering linkage or change the height of the engine temporarily. I'm going to remove front engine mounts and use jack to lower engine to gain drain plug access temporarily just to screw it back in. Ideally the pan needs to be changed, which I don't want to do, lazy as usual. However my question is have any of you used the one piece oil pan gaskets made for these? Would make install laying on my back easier. Just concerned if they seal properly. I see both Felpro and Victor ones and china copies but I'll stay away from those.
Another question, just curious on what cars came with sbc oil pan with front drain plug, 58-64?? Most seem to be on the side and 55-57 originals had rear bottom location.

Junky

Well Known Member
If you don't want to do all the work to drain oil from below, get a marine oil drain pump. I have one and use it on my daily drivers, and my old cars. Put the plastic tube down the dipstick tube, and such it out. It get all the oil, and is a lot faster than crawling under the car and messing with a drain plug and hot oil. When the engine is cold, I remove the oil filter, and put the new on one. Click here, only $157.49surflow.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
57 Didn't use side mounted engine mounts,they were mounted on the front of the engine...A very simple way to get the clearence is to remove the two idler arm to frame bolts and pull down on the center link,remove the pan bolts and the pan comes right out.

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have any of you ever used the newer one piece oil pan gaskets now available for these older engines?
57 Didn't use side mounted engine mounts,they were mounted on the front of the engine...A very simple way to get the clearence is to remove the two idler arm to frame bolts and pull down on the center link,remove the pan bolts and the pan comes right out.

You're referring to changing out the oil pan so just pulling the center link down some will allow for pan removal?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,at least on my 56 it worked.I've never used the one piece gasket on the older engines but plan to when my 408 gets freashened up.About all the crate engines use them it seems.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm sure that Mike would sell it to you,all it would take is the right amount of cash Bob.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you don't want to do all the work to drain oil from below, get a marine oil drain pump. I have one and use it on my daily drivers, and my old cars. Put the plastic tube down the dipstick tube, and such it out. It get all the oil, and is a lot faster than crawling under the car and messing with a drain plug and hot oil. When the engine is cold, I remove the oil filter, and put the new on one. Click here, only $157.49View attachment 86718

Interesting. Too bad I still have to crawl under to remove filter. I suppose one could install a remote oil filter and change it from above, ultimate laziness.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes,at least on my 56 it worked.I've never used the one piece gasket on the older engines but plan to when my 408 gets freashened up.About all the crate engines use them it seems.

So they seem to be in common use now, that's promising.
I don't want to mess with the 4 piece laying on my back. I've built my fair share of engines but always on an engine stand this laying under a car is not for me.
Remember the real old days when they rebuilt engines without removing it from the car, what a pain in the azz. Leaning over fenders is not cool.