348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

427John

Well Known Member
It didn't look like that when it left my basement :).

I kinda like the look, they should have made an aluminum Triple Two setup back in the day.

Good luck on the build!

TomK
I agree,unfortunately it appears that Pontiac made the only factory GM aluminum tripower intake back in that time frame and only in small numbers.The later BBC intake was aluminum but used Holley carbs,does anyone know if the tripower intake that Olds used in 66 or 67 was aluminum?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree,unfortunately it appears that Pontiac made the only factory GM aluminum tripower intake back in that time frame and only in small numbers.The later BBC intake was aluminum but used Holley carbs,does anyone know if the tripower intake that Olds used in 66 or 67 was aluminum?
All of the tri power olds we have had through my work were cast. No idea if they had aluminum ones or not.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
In other news, my parts from Show Cars finally all arrived at the shop yesterday. Looks like everything was there.
Crank, rods, pistons and other parts went to balancing. Hopefully they come back before the end of the week and they can start assembling it.
@Don Jacks Stay tuned for photos.

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
Been there. ;) Actually, a bit in reverse....the Edelbrock 'B' deck height Mopar 6 pack intake with a fab'ed valley pan and intake port plates.
That sounds really similar to what PSE did for the ford FE 427 back in the 70's there wasn't a tunnel ram available for them so he made a base that was basically adapter plates and a valley cover made in one piece then you could bolt any 351C intake on it including the tunnel ram.Sounds like a similar piece for W's would really open up the manifold choices.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pretty well. Carbs were a complete Holley setup from a '68 427-400 Corvette.

The one for a single R4781 (850 dbl pumper) was even better. More power and better driveability than any of the factory intakes.

The worst was the high perf 348 aluminum AFB intake....a truly horrible thing. Ducking the flying bricks.....:fear
Where can I find one of these 348 aluminum AFB intakes now? Does anyone have any pictures of this intake?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The most common one ended in the numbers 540.The Eddie single 4 bbl.intake was 25 hp stronger than that thing on a very mild combo.There were a couple of others ad they were worse.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Pretty well. Carbs were a complete Holley setup from a '68 427-400 Corvette.

The one for a single R4781 (850 dbl pumper) was even better. More power and better driveability than any of the factory intakes.

The worst was the high perf 348 aluminum AFB intake....a truly horrible thing. Ducking the flying bricks.....:fear
No point in ducking Al.Facts is facts!!!!!!!

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Wow, this was a bad deal for sure. If you can get even 1/2 the cost back on the build, I would look for a 340/409 running that you could rebuild. Won't go full race but a good solid motor with good parts, but hindsight is just that. One thing about 348's is there are still many parts around, and even good running motors for sale. One thing if a motor self destructs is can you be sure it is completely clean when you start the rebuild again......good luck.