Were to find 62 bubbletop rear glass that fits HELP

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a friend in South Dakota building a 1962 Chevy bubbletop 409.
He ordered Back Glass from Auto City Classic in Minnesota - it does not fit

He knows a person in Ohio who ordered 2 -1962 bubbletop back glass from Auto City -They did not fit

Where have you guys got glass thant fits for 61 and 62 Chevy bubbletops ??

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I wonder if Pat knows, on his bubbletops.
we have one used one offered for sale in North Dakota.
Paul

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The repos were too flat. No curvature to fit the profile in the body opening and stainless moldings.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Auto City is fine, but apparently they are having a problem with 62 Chevy bubbletop back glass. The 61/62 bubble top glass is way different than other 61 to 64 glass....

I have 5 to 6 full sets of side glass, windshields and back glass for 4- 1962 Hardtops and 2 -1962 Convertibles (over the last 10 years) - all day coded stamped with E-Z-Eye tinted glass all from Auto City, no issues at all, glass is very nice.

My long term in business, local restoration shop, that does very high end restorations and partial restorations all GM, Fore, Mopar uses Auto City for glass all the time, no problems that he mentioned to me today

Paul

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The repos were too flat. No curvature to fit the profile in the body opening and stainless moldings.
Phil is correct, I bought one of the first repo rear windows that Auto City Glass got in., this was 10 or 12 years ago. Paid the glass shop to install it, stood back and looked it and told them to take it out. It fit the outside edges of the window opening but had no curvature. It was straight from the roof to the rear deck lid. Several years later I bought another and it was much better, you could still spot it but it was good enough that I left it in. Then about 4 or 5 years ago I bought another one, this time for a 61 Pontiac, same glass and I'm pretty happy with this one. I know you can't tell from this photo but all the glass in this car came from Auto City and it fits very good and the rear glass has a curvature that is close to correct

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1565868776896.jpg
    FB_IMG_1565868776896.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 21

heddrik

Well Known Member
I found an original un-tinted pair and drove to get them , 9 hours. As mentioned above, would never ship them , too rare and expensive. Do you mind me asking what Auto City charges for the back bubbletop glass? thank you.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Looks like $280 on their site ( I did not ask my friend what he paid)
Found one in northern North Dakota - about 6 hours one way, assuming it’s ok .
he was hoping for a new one, looking more like an original is the only way

montemike79

Well Known Member
The whole set with the front and rear, and all side glass for a bubble top from auto city is about $1500. I want to put all tinted glass in my car, my windshield and rear glass are green, but the side windows are clear. I may have to re-use the rear window now, but it has some scratches in it.