348 To 380 Dyno results

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks Don, I’ll relay that info on the 3-4 th gears. He did tell me it’s some adjustments and the trans being rebuilt already it’s some tuning and finesse. I have a new 2000 converter and I know that 2400 will make it lively at every light. I kinda heard what Jeff said and he went back from 24-2000 for drivability. Since I have the 2000 already I’ll try that one first and if I don’t like it I can change it easy enough to a 2400. I have to drop it off on Monday so I’ll tell him what I’m looking for and I may just put the 2400 in first.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don, Rick is a well known transmission guy, he does all the drag cars around here plus heavy trucks and everything else. I bought my super t10 from him, he figured out a cure early on for gm’s first 4 speed automatic issues in the early 80’s.
He has a yellow little deuce coupe in his showroom, sbc in it, and his shop is one of the cleanest places you ever go.
His only flaw is he’s into Mopar a lot. :bow

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Don, Rick is a well known transmission guy, he does all the drag cars around here plus heavy trucks and everything else. I bought my super t10 from him, he figured out a cure early on for gm’s first 4 speed automatic issues in the early 80’s.
He has a yellow little deuce coupe in his showroom, sbc in it, and his shop is one of the cleanest places you ever go.
His only flaw is he’s into Mopar a lot. :bow

As the story goes he’s mopar because the dealer is there, he’s a Chevy guy first and most all his old cars are GM. My General Manager Brian grew up with him and lives around the corner.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I was having a hard time finding a breather that would fit under the hood with the electric choke. I had the original but wanted something with the open filter. I tried a few but needed to be a drop Center so the hood doesn’t hit it. That old K&N one I had was junk and didn’t fit the appearance i was looking for. Finally found this one. Had to slightly make The bump bigger where the choke is but fits and the hood doesn’t hit it

Attachments

• 49D1C1CB-AD06-4D4F-8E8E-0272320D289F.jpeg
    49D1C1CB-AD06-4D4F-8E8E-0272320D289F.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 29A083FA-24F5-464A-B7DA-C398C2C50A4E.jpeg
    29A083FA-24F5-464A-B7DA-C398C2C50A4E.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 4CDBE321-F990-43C1-A1B8-DA8EE3BC04B5.jpeg
    4CDBE321-F990-43C1-A1B8-DA8EE3BC04B5.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 35

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
LOOKING GOOD Tim.I do see an issue with the way your tv cable is hooked up.It'll never shift the way it should or last as long as it could hooked up like it is.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
With the optional tune that uses 100 octane, with the very best radial track prep, in perfect atmospheric conditions and if planetary alignment is right, then yes, there are some that have gone 9.60s.
LOOKING GOOD Tim.I do see an issue with the way your tv cable is hooked up.It'll never shift the way it should or last as long as it could hooked up like it is.

I wonder if it fits on the inside? Maybe I have it inside out. I can get Rick to look at that too

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Edelbrock makes a bracket that attaches to the carb to give the cable the correct geometry that you don't have and the cable must be level not off like you have it now.Your trans guy can fix this.Just so you know how to set the cable if the need ever arrises,with the proper brackets in place,hook the cable to the carb[engine warm,choke off],depress the tab on the cable and pull the cable back as far as it will go.Then step on the accelerator depressing it all the way to the floor.When you do that you'll feel the cable click into position. close the hood,drive the car it'll work.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was having a hard time finding a breather that would fit under the hood with the electric choke. I had the original but wanted something with the open filter. I tried a few but needed to be a drop Center so the hood doesn’t hit it. That old K&N one I had was junk and didn’t fit the appearance i was looking for. Finally found this one. Had to slightly make The bump bigger where the choke is but fits and the hood doesn’t hit it

Tim, you probably already have it worked out, however I was putting my carb back together today and thought of you. Here is what I am using for my throttle valve cable. This one is from Bow Tie Overdrives, its for a square bore carb. It may work for you or not.

IMG_1030.JPG

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
That’s exactly what it should have. I haven’t seen it yet but sent the car to Rick Rood (very well known transmission builder) on Tuesday. Should be ready this Tuesday and he found a bunch of small issues. Rear yoke was ok but needed to be in farther,Replaced the yoke with one that has the u joint ears out farther, he fixed the TV cable and how it’s mounted.(not sure how yet But he replaced how it was mounted), valve pressures were too low, fixed those, Speedo was off too far,replaced the adapter on the tail shaft, he’s putting a different converter in it (2000 stall) and said the clutch for 2nd/third isn’t grabbing the drum and is too soft which he will do both Monday. The guy that rebuilt it just put a standard kit in it from what he saw. He’s making the changes needed for the engine in front of it. Should make it lively when I get it back. Best money spent!

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tim, here is another option for your bracket for your overdrive cable, this is the one that’s on my shop truck right now. I haven’t trimmed the cable because eventually it’ll go on my 348 stroker and I want to make sure it’s the right length. I do need to change my throttle return spring to a double spring and hook it in a different place. You can also do a little grinding and welding and make one fit just about anywhere you want with proper geometry.:goodYou can also do a little grinding and welding and make one fit just about anywhere you want with proper geometry.

Attachments

• 00E19E3E-49AA-4169-9226-924936AAA7B8.jpeg
    00E19E3E-49AA-4169-9226-924936AAA7B8.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 25
  • 2B4FE3F2-CA20-40EF-AAD8-41CFAED06C92.jpeg
    2B4FE3F2-CA20-40EF-AAD8-41CFAED06C92.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 26
  • F1006C09-8D30-4519-A7C5-E355FDEAE16E.jpeg
    F1006C09-8D30-4519-A7C5-E355FDEAE16E.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 0152FF97-86F9-46F9-B915-F7E0DDAE24C1.jpeg
    0152FF97-86F9-46F9-B915-F7E0DDAE24C1.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 24

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
289, 351, 340, 6 cyl, anything but the truth. Nobody knows what a 348 is?
not don jacks. :cool:

a guy that looked at it last Thursday night at the A&W cruise night said it was a 409. I didn’t tell him the difference because he told me all about how he knew what it was because of the dipstick and manifolds. Tecnically other than the block there’s no 348 parts in it!:dunno2

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don J what am I going to put in place of the 327 emblems?

Are people changing their 409 emblems when they bore or stroke it? It's not 409 CI's anymore. Nor is half the other engines in any family or brand. If you want to, go custom to the exact CI of the motor with a set of crossflags. I would leave the 327 emblems if it were mine, but it's not.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Funny thing is a 348 bored out is 6.2L. And there’s lots of emblems like that. I’m thinking just the cross flags with nothing else like the 66 283’s had.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Great build Tim!!! Always like seeing dyno results. I gotta try that someday! You picked the PERFECT camshaft for that build. Not too much, not too little. It made well over 1hp per CI with manifolds:good:good:good:good

Gotta see if it’ll light em up!!!

If GM had numbers like yours does back in the day there would be a beach boys song about a 348. :burnout

The engine noise throughout the song is Gary Usher’s 348 in front of the Wilson’s house with a tape recorder sitting on the sidewalk:D:D:D

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Great build Tim!!! Always like seeing dyno results. I gotta try that someday! You picked the PERFECT camshaft for that build. Not too much, not too little. It made well over 1hp per CI with manifolds:good:good:good:good

Gotta see if it’ll light em up!!!

The engine noise throughout the song is Gary Usher’s 348 in front of the Wilson’s house with a tape recorder sitting on the sidewalk:D:D:D
Does anyone have a picture of Gary's 59' Chevy with the tri power 348? I can't seem to find the famous sounding car picture anywhere,