John Deere 4310, another long term project.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My father in law and I drug my new project home today(part of it anyways). Just What I needed was another project. At least it wasn't far away. It was the neighboring camp grounds, until it broke in half. IMG_20200926_103201.jpgIMG_20200928_183339.jpgIMG_20200928_183311.jpg
Hopefully we will pick up the rear section and the back hoe tomorrow. It nice that my father in law has a JD 310D to load this thing. He could have lifted the entire machine on to the trailer if only it was all one piece.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Is that a stamped steel frame?
There isn't an actual frame on the tractor. The cast iron center case connects the bell housing to the hydrostatic transmission and differential. The center housing gave up and broke off just ahead of the transmission. I can't believe they expected the center case to hold up to use and abuse with the loader and backhoe. And I did come across a reinforcing kit that JD has for sale, kind of like subframe connectors I believe. Why wouldn't that have been installed at the factory? :doh

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We drug the other half home this morning. So I had to pull the step plate off for a better picture of the center housing. There are three shafts that pass through. The engine to trans shaft, the front diff drive shaft and one other shaft. The upper shaft broke off. The drive shaft four the front diff is bent and I'm not sure about the transmission shaft. It is short and pretty heavy, so I'll have to check it. There are a few other broken pieces, so time will tell what I will actual need for parts. Going to check with some places that deal in used parts.IMG_20200929_092157.jpgIMG_20200929_092219.jpgIMG_20200929_155619.jpgIMG_20200929_155629.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We drug the other half home this morning. So I had to pull the step plate off for a better picture of the center housing. There are three shafts that pass through. The engine to trans shaft, the front diff drive shaft and one other shaft. The upper shaft broke off. The drive shaft four the front diff is bent and I'm not sure about the transmission shaft. It is short and pretty heavy, so I'll have to check it. There are a few other broken pieces, so time will tell what I will actual need for parts. Going to check with some places that deal in used parts.View attachment 86976View attachment 86977View attachment 86978View attachment 86979
Looks like fun!

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used to have to work on the 4310 and 110's !!!!!! They sucked the life out of me. Like said above no real frame and we had motor side bolts come loose and destroy the engine block mounts and numerous other problems. It would be ok for personal use but not contracter or rental use with idiots beating the living snot out of them using them as a concrete breaker

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well, I've really been slacking on my aluminum projects for the past month. Kinda of feel bad. But I've been overly obsessed with this tractor project. Finally got it together and running. Now back to my regularly scheduled projects. View attachment 90303View attachment 90304View attachment 90305
Looks good! I'll think about sending you my new to me 318 John Deere. It comes with a loader for the front like yours but much smaller. Would be nice to have 4x4 but my Willys Jeep can serve as my small 4x4 for the yard if need be.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Nice looking rig Jim. I'd bet that hoe attachment back there puts a lot of strain on the frame.. Were they using the hoe attachment when it broke? That 3/8...1/2 reinforcement piece is pretty beefy. Looks like the engineers failed on that model. You probably got a good deal with it being broke in half. What's it got for hours?

Last edited: