Fan Clutch on 1962 impala

lennyjay

Well Known Member
yes all V-8's had 5 bladed fans.
Paul, replacing my thermal clutch....do you have a manufacture and part number for the fan clutch. All I can find is the std. duty fan clutch Hayden #2710. I would like a severe duty or heavy duty if available. It is a 409 motor, standard 5 blade, 409 shroud in place. My fan just spins when shut off, no drag......Thanks....

kiwi

Supporting Member 3
I found this information years ago on this site
Hayden Standard 2710
Heavy Duty 2747
Serve Heavy Duty 2797
I purchased the 2797 very noisy to start with but settled down and works good.

Steve

heddrik

Well Known Member
I just wondered if you could use a small block fan on a 409. With or without a fan clutch , I 'm not sure. Can't remember on my 62 250 hp 327 if it had a clutch or not.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If the 250 horse car had A/C then yes they had one.My Dad had a 63 Impala wagon and then a 65 Impala same engine,and both cars had factory A/C,both cars had fan clutches.His 61 wagon that had a 170 horse 283,factory air had a fan clutch.A rough rule of thumb back then was if the car was equipped with A/C from the factory,they had a fan clutch on 283,327 engines.The non-A/C cars didn't unless a heavy duty cooling system option was used.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil....I sold all my yellow factory bulletins and factory literature, but I believe it is stored in the right rear hemisphere of my brain!!!!! Amazing......isn't it!!!!!

heddrik

Well Known Member
Either way then, the fan was the same, 283,327 and 409. Just some had clutch and some did not, correct?