Paint Code 1963 Impala Dash

mprice

I'm looking for the paint code for a red dash - 1963 Impala SS 2-Door. Does anyone have the original paint code, perhaps Ditzler number? If you are a paint guru and have this information, please pass it along.

Thanks,
msp177 (MIke)

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have all the original paint codes 58-64 for interiors from a Late Great Chevy article from I think 1999.
here are the two codes - I am not sure which one is correct - the dash is "not supposed to be gloss"

For a 63 Chevy they had Medium Red (flat ) as the name for interior paint - I think these are the ones for the dash
they have to be crossed from the old numbers to new paints and codes.

Dupont No. 95332
R-M No. 62T51
Ditzler No. 71356

The sheet says flattener must be added to Dupont and R-M that only came in gloss.

They also listed a Medium Red (gloss ) for the interior;
Dupont No. 95563
R-M No. 1538
Ditzler No. 71276

The gloss is probably for the rear seat speaker frame on Impalas and the seat divider by the RR 1/4's from the original cars I have seen.

My paint guy if I remember right added flattener (to the clear I think) for my dash in my 62's so its not gloss.
I have his exact instructions somewhere from sending them out a few days ago.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
for those of you on this site, please let us know how you did your dash to get it the right shade and the paint code you used.
Paul

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On my restored car i added flatter to the dash paint and it looks about right for the factory color don,t remember how much it has been awhile.But on the other car that i drive, well sometimes anyway i painted the dash gloss :dunnoand the sun glare it terrible so i recommend no gloss on the dash again GM knew what they were doing.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have all the original paint codes 58-64 for interiors from a Late Great Chevy article from I think 1999.
here are the two codes - I am not sure which one is correct - the dash is "not supposed to be gloss"

For a 63 Chevy they had Medium Red (flat ) as the name for interior paint - I think these are the ones for the dash
they have to be crossed from the old numbers to new paints and codes.

Dupont No. 95332
R-M No. 62T51
Ditzler No. 71356

The sheet says flattener must be added to Dupont and R-M that only came in gloss.

They also listed a Medium Red (gloss ) for the interior;
Dupont No. 95563
R-M No. 1538
Ditzler No. 71276

The gloss is probably for the rear seat speaker frame on Impalas and the seat divider by the RR 1/4's from the original cars I have seen.

My paint guy if I remember right added flattener (to the clear I think) for my dash in my 62's so its not gloss.
I have his exact instructions somewhere from sending them out a few days ago.
Paul
Hey Paul,
Do you have a listing for interior paint on my 62! Paint code is 900 tuxedo black.
I did find under "oldride" that it listed interior paint as Duco® Code - #44 (black) but can't find a cross reference from there.

Cheers
Gav

mrchevy409

HELP !!! IAM restoring a original 409 63 impala super sport original black, outside and black in, IAM changing the colors to outside satin silver and red interior. can anyone help me with all the correct reds for the dash it has a padded dash. they show 3 reds for the interior. PS please purists no comments on color change. thankyou any help would be appreciated.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have my red 63 dash still apart - it is definitely two paint finishes - the instrument panel and steering column are a flat red and the remainder is probably a semigloss red. I too could not find the correct paints in a rattle can, and I spent a lot of time on it.

I believe that I am going to embrace the 47 year patina and move on.

Just my two cents....

Chip

47C62EE8-B21E-4441-BCA4-27CDF1F6FF7C.jpeg0A56663D-525D-4150-9B12-755A0B8A8963.jpegA2A70C3A-347B-47D4-B4B5-8BDE9DFC9B5C.jpeg

Junky

Well Known Member
Strange that you should bring this up, since I was at my paint supplier yesterday. He told me that all the old formulas are of no value, since all the paints have changed, and there is no factory information for doing adaptations. He said that if I bring in a part, he can hand blend the paint to match, and get the correct paint color and duplicate the original look of the steering column. When these cars were new, none of the dash and other components matched exactly, since the company that made the steering column mast jacket, wasn't the same company that manufactured the directional signal housing, and they both had their own paint suppliers. The problem today, is that many of the paints are a base coat and a clear coat. You can get the clear coat in gloss, semi gloss, and satin, but most of the dashes back then were a textured paint, so you will need to learn how to apply the new paints to simulate the original finish. It can be done, but it will take some practice to do it. You have to apply the paint in a dry fashion, without getting runs. When I first learned to paint, everything came out dry. Now, I have tend to put the paint on too wet wanting it to flow. I have given up painting!
Last summer, I had them custom match the vinyl paint for my new padded dash, and it came out perfectly. I applied 2 wet coats, and it looks original. I used SEM vinyl dye.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Strange that you should bring this up, since I was at my paint supplier yesterday. He told me that all the old formulas are of no value, since all the paints have changed, and there is no factory information for doing adaptations. He said that if I bring in a part, he can hand blend the paint to match, and get the correct paint color and duplicate the original look of the steering column. When these cars were new, none of the dash and other components matched exactly, since the company that made the steering column mast jacket, wasn't the same company that manufactured the directional signal housing, and they both had their own paint suppliers. The problem today, is that many of the paints are a base coat and a clear coat. You can get the clear coat in gloss, semi gloss, and satin, but most of the dashes back then were a textured paint, so you will need to learn how to apply the new paints to simulate the original finish. It can be done, but it will take some practice to do it. You have to apply the paint in a dry fashion, without getting runs. When I first learned to paint, everything came out dry. Now, I have tend to put the paint on too wet wanting it to flow. I have given up painting!
Last summer, I had them custom match the vinyl paint for my new padded dash, and it came out perfectly. I applied 2 wet coats, and it looks original. I used SEM vinyl dye.
Truth! The old lacquer tints are different than the new base coat and even urethane single stage. Even if you found a found a formula for an old color in base coat it won’t be the same! Close is all you can hope for. Most places now don’t even have books anymore. All computer and they can’t reference an old formula to a new one. When I had to do some repair work on my car which is lacquer with a polyurethane clear, I had over 500 bucks in pints of color before o got something useable. Ppg, RM, and DuPont all had the formula for Palomer red in base coat. Not one looked anything like the car or the perfect factory paint in the jambs or under the deck lid. They didn’t even match each other! My 63 has beautifully preserved dash. There are probably 5 different reds. All very close but a little different. A couple interior parts are almost full gloss but mostly semi gloss. All factory. The column and piece surrounding the speedo were repainted. The rest is original. The lucite is what those pieces are. We couldn’t get that anymore when the roll bar was painted and settled on the dupont vinyl color which matched well. Makes it easier when even the factory didn’t match the color on parts!416D0848-1290-4582-8955-9AC26E723A79.jpegB47D68D7-3DD6-4FC4-BB61-142988D05263.jpeg416D0848-1290-4582-8955-9AC26E723A79.jpegB47D68D7-3DD6-4FC4-BB61-142988D05263.jpegBC279828-838D-4DE3-BADF-BD98D1C07178.jpeg8090A7F1-D5C7-411F-B038-5C37161C595C.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B996F93-4EDD-4E00-9C69-906A78F677D0.jpeg
    9B996F93-4EDD-4E00-9C69-906A78F677D0.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 10

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I believe I have a new paint code for the red dash in my 62 Impala Hardtop -should be a good match.
I have the factory codes but as stated above they are nearly impossible to match.
The inside of glove box to match can work.
Paul

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 62 color is a little darker than 63 comparing the original paint on my dad's 62 to my 63. The 62 dash also has a little bit of texture.