Dad's Pilots Log

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I was 4 years old. We moved down to Southern Iowa where Dad was Foreman on a bridge crew. Not sure how long Dad had been out of the Air Force. I asked my older brother how could Dad ever afford to take flying lessons...he said the GI Bill. I remember one of the flights Dad took he went back up home and dropped a bag of potatoesthumbnail (3).jpgthumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (1).jpg from the plane in Grandpa Coots' pasture...bet they were all bruised to hell.

Don't have a clue about the incorrect name on the Pilot log, maybe that guy crashed.............

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Great memory's Dave. Did he ever give you a ride. When I was in grade school my mom's brother had a plane and gave me a ride and let me actually take the control when we were cruising. I thought then that was the most fun. He circled our farm and other places. He was kind of onery, as he chased one of my other uncle's off his tractor one time when he was working in the field by swooping down at him lol Actually he and his brother were survivors of pearl harbor bombing. They are since passed on , really miss them.

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Cool story Cooter. My dad jumped out of planes!
Great info, my Dad jumped because his buddies were doing it! I’m sure it was one of those “hold my beer moments”!

He was part of a team that set a world record in 1929 I think, refueled a plane in midair, he flew the Ford Trimotor at various times as well as lowering fuel to the plane below.
He worked for Reg Robbins.

Really a crazy story because the plane used to set the record required oiling the rockers every so many hours.
That guy had to get out of the plane, walk along a welded on catwalk to oil the rockers!!

The photo with both planes was torn in 1/2 and placed together, not aligned correctly evidenced by the hose coming from the Trimotor.

Dad by a Stearman, he was a crop duster.

Mom wouldn’t let him tell all the stories!!

4E5D4F41-6CD2-4A12-B430-C29791579E06.jpeg79F6E99D-36F8-465E-BEBF-A3BF863A5146.jpeg5E99CCF2-F93E-403D-B222-9365C80A8003.jpeg

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Great info, my Dad jumped because his buddies were doing it! I’m sure it was one of those “hold my beer moments”!

He was part of a team that set a world record in 1929 I think, refueled a plane in midair, he flew the Ford Trimotor at various times as well as lowering fuel to the plane below.
He worked for Reg Robbins.

Really a crazy story because the plane used to set the record required oiling the rockers every so many hours.
That guy had to get out of the plane, walk along a welded on catwalk to oil the rockers!!

The photo with both planes was torn in 1/2 and placed together, not aligned correctly evidenced by the hose coming from the Trimotor.

Dad by a Stearman, he was a crop duster.

Mom wouldn’t let him tell all the stories!!

View attachment 89804View attachment 89805View attachment 89806
Pop made 56 jumps in his service to his county. Ended up in the Philippines during the Japanese occupation. The guy was tough as nails, never complained about anything.