Getting Some Love

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Dan .....have you made any alterations to the block itself for the horsepower that you are creating........I know you mentioned when you stepped up in horsepower you went with the four bolt main caps any race prepping on the oiling system.......????Thanks in advance

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I broke any sharp edges with a sanding roll. I don’t think the block has had anything enlarged. Curt Harvey did the machine work a long time ago and I don’t remember if anything was enlarged. The cam bearing were getting pretty beat up especially the rear. So I kept the oil hole at 12 o’clock and grooved the cam bore to about the 3 o’clock position and added a second hole in the bearing. I did that on all of them. That helped. I then kept that and used coated bearings. They now look perfect. I blueprint a melling bbc pump with some internal mods. 348 pan with a deepened sump that makes 8 quarts with a filter. A small windage tray over the sump. Enlarged drain holes in the heads. I also use an accumulator. That’s my oiling. Everything looks good with 10-30 VR1.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I broke any sharp edges with a sanding roll. I don’t think the block has had anything enlarged. Curt Harvey did the machine work a long time ago and I don’t remember if anything was enlarged. The cam bearing were getting pretty beat up especially the rear. So I kept the oil hole at 12 o’clock and grooved the cam bore to about the 3 o’clock position and added a second hole in the bearing. I did that on all of them. That helped. I then kept that and used coated bearings. They now look perfect. I blueprint a melling bbc pump with some internal mods. 348 pan with a deepened sump that makes 8 quarts with a filter. A small windage tray over the sump. Enlarged drain holes in the heads. I also use an accumulator. That’s my oiling. Everything looks good with 10-30 VR1.

Petey is back in school........ The accumulator is for pre-oiling correct....??....And if there was ever a drop in oil pressure the accumulator would kick in

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep. I use a 3 quart but they never hold that much. You adjust how much air pressure it has. More air means less oil but delivered faster and vice versa. I have 7 psi in mine. I have 30 psi hot oil pressure at idle but it would drop to 20-25 on the shut down. Now it stays at thirty and the bearings have never looked better. Plus the 1.5-2 quarts of oil in the accumulator is that much less for the crank to whip up. Win win!