Piston Cooling Jets

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don’t know crap about pro 7.0 however my blown alcohol car (s) ran as fast as 5.80 and my injected nitro car (s) ran as fast as 5.55. See a couple of my cars attached.
Since we are comparing, we never had the cash to toss money out the window and the bracket allowed us to go racing. The car could run 6.0 but we couldn't afford it.

The funny car in Bakersfield.

Bakersfield%20HRR%202009-Saturday%20124.jpgBakersfield%20HRR%202009-Thursday%20146.jpg

From the Late James Drew.
101709CHRR-RR2 556.JPG

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Done! I still have to clearance the piston pin bosses a little and finish drilling the set screws but I keep breaking those tiny .025 drill bits or they don’t cut from the get go. Annoying :angry

Attachments

• BE04D9F4-C94B-4228-89FB-C0DFEA708B98.jpeg
    BE04D9F4-C94B-4228-89FB-C0DFEA708B98.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 1B34CB0D-1822-4E5D-A793-569F2DD2B252.jpeg
    1B34CB0D-1822-4E5D-A793-569F2DD2B252.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 35

El Rat

Well Known Member
I love “stuff” and appreciate innovation however if the idea is to reduce “endbutt” I would just increase the ring gap.
In 40+ years I always got in trouble when I didn’t have enough endgap. I would take the top ring off and put it in the bore shine a light on the manifold side and look from the crankcase.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I love “stuff” and appreciate innovation however if the idea is to reduce “endbutt” I would just increase the ring gap.
In 40+ years I always got in trouble when I didn’t have enough endgap. I would take the top ring off and put it in the bore shine a light on the manifold side and look from the crankcase.
The idea is not just to keep the ends from touching but to remedy the cause. The rings butting @.040 in this application is a symptom of a disease. Just opening up the gaps would be like emptying the bucket in the living room instead of fixing the leak in the roof.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Interesting you seem to think ring heat is directly or indirectly related to the inability to get oil to the back side of the ring . How about pressure sealed or low tension rings. How do modern ring applications routinely go 300,000
miles with out “tricks”. I think you might have a cure looking for a disease.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Where did I say anything about ring heat being related to getting oil to the back side of the ring??? Do you know anything about why piston cooling jets are used? Including being used on a lot of vehicles sitting on new car lots of nearly every manufacturer? What do cooling jets have to do with ring wear and vehicles getting 300,000 miles without “tricks”? If you have questions I’ll gladly answer them.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I think the problem that Dan is attempting to address is that the pistons,partly due to design aren't cooling down enough,and are retaining too much heat especially the thickest part of the pistons.The various windage reducing tricks used by most racers are only making the problem worse because the very oil that you're removing to free up horse power are what cools the piston down in the first place.The addition of cooling "jets" is far from new.I can easily remember connecting rods that used a type of that feature dating back pre 50's engines.I think Dan's come up with a solution or at the very least,a remedy for his particular engine.