starter motor

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Is it belhousing or block mounted? Are you looking for "numbers correct"or something that works.A little more info about your combo[type of trans ect.]would be helpful.

hillbillymark

Is it belhousing or block mounted? Are you looking for "numbers correct"or something that works.A little more info about your combo[type of trans ect.]would be helpful.
its bell housing mounted but i want to upgrade to block mount but i dont think my block is drilled for a starter

Temp2c

Have the original starter rewound and rebuilt by a good motor shop. Then take the neutral safety switch out of the circuit. They choke the circuit so the solinoid can't close as tight as it needs to to allow enough current to go to the starter.

I just had the factory starter in my 454 rebuilt by a local shop. The owner and builder has many old cars. He used his stash of USA made parts and put larger windings in it and no matter how hot it gets, with 15W40 oil and the initial set at 20 (I dont like vacuum advances) my 454 starts the split second I touch of the starter button. I use a Marine, heavy duty, chrome covered brass push button for the starter. I take the key switch out of the starter circuit and just use the "on" portion.
I do this modification on all the old cars I own because the starting system was only designed to last for 10-15 years. Its amazing how long some of these factory systems worked for and shows the hi quality the American factorys put into these cars.

Last edited: