Pie crust slick question

63409impala

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to buy a pair of pie crust slicks from towel city. Was looking at the 28.5x10 slick and will be on a 7 inch steel wheel. This should fit shouldn't it? Just curious. Currently I have a 29 inch tire on an 8 inch wheel on the car.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am planning on the same thing, except with an 8” wheel - so ‘great question’!

I have tried to read all the related posts going WAY back, and have a high degree of confidence that the posts tell me that with a 4” backspace that exact tire and 8” wheel will fit.and will work. (except a great hook up will cause other stuff to break). It is unclear if some 10” wheels work, but it does not seem like they will.

Before getting another “wishful thinking” lesson, I too would like a refresher on what actually is certain to work.

i hope we hear from veryones experience. Thanks in advance.

Chip

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Heads up. I had the chance to fit some pie crust Towel City slicks on my wagon and took some photos. The fit should be the same. These are their 28.5x 9" tires on 7" rim. About 1.5inch on the outside and about 2.5 on the inside. The real issue will be getting such a wide tire up in there. I didn't have to much trouble getting the 9inch in there but not sure how hard it will be to actually stuff the 10" wide stiff cheater slick in there. I have to air my 275/60 15" tires to get them to tuck under there but they aren't hard cheater slicks.
20180608_123502.jpg

20180608_123904.jpg

20180608_123936.jpg

63409impala

Well Known Member
OK currently my car has a 15 by 8" steel wheels with A 255 70 15 rear tire. What I have to do to get such a tire on the car, Is Jack the car up and supported by the frame so the rear end can hang, disconnect shocks, panhard bar, driveshaft, As well as take the valve core out to the tires are completely empty with no air in them. What makes minor pain is the 3" long wheel studs.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A 4x4 off roading trick I learned a long time ago was to take a strap and run it around the tread of the tire, hooking it back to itself. Empty all of the air out (pull stem) and pull the strap down tight making the tire look like a funny donut a little. I also put my jack under the center pumpkin and put a jack stand under the opposite side shock support to get the car to flex the axle down further. Works like magic. Nothing to unbolt this way. I hope this helps! The long studs are kind of an issue but if the tire is strapped down to a lower profile and the axle flexed down on that side too you shouldn't have any issues. Only takes me a few minutes to pull my tires on and off this way.

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’ve got 295’s on ,diff is shortened 2” each side with 3” studs , I jack the diff high enough so the tires are off the ground put my jack stands under the diff and from the frame jack the frame up as high as possible so the body goes up.... lately I’ve had them off so many times I also let some air out .. works for me!

Attachments

• 6B3D6067-B6C0-4EEF-9E60-5DD4B4FE3394.jpeg
    6B3D6067-B6C0-4EEF-9E60-5DD4B4FE3394.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

63409impala

Well Known Member
I’ve got 295’s on ,diff is shortened 2” each side with 3” studs , I jack the diff high enough so the tires are off the ground put my jack stands under the diff and from the frame jack the frame up as high as possible so the body goes up.... lately I’ve had them off so many times I also let some air out .. works for me!
Yeah, my rearend is stock width.