Gas pedal stop for too large of a carb?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Did carbs for different applications have different size weights?If so is there a number stamped on them to identify them?
These are new twin 1404's straight from the factory. Like I said, I'll get my camera and make few passes watching their performance. If I have to pull them apart to lighten the rear ones I will.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If the weights are the same, you need to adjust the attack angle of the flapper.
I'll look into it. I'm going to pull a 650cfm apart and get familiar with it before I go pulling my 1404s apart. Its tuned better now that it ever has been but I'll keep working it over as time provides.

Reactions: Tim

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here are the 24" tires going on the back of the wagon next to my 275/60-15 (28") I just pulled off. I'm almost certain its going to be to small. Even with my little 348 it might be hard to keep traction. However I did do some math and if I play my cards right I would pass through the traps at 4800 rpm in the 1/8th mile. That would be just above my normal shift point. Also based on my previous 1/4mile times not only will I be much faster in the 1/8 mile if I can get enough traction but I will also be able to shift to second (and final) gear soon enough to take advantage of what little power I do have. Once my brakes are fixed then its test and tune for the next couple weeks until the track opens at Eddyville May 1st. This next weekend is open at Ceder Falls drag way but I just can't swing it unless my dad decides to take a weekend off to go racing. LOL!
20210414_125413.jpg
20210414_125437.jpg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Here are the 24" tires going on the back of the wagon next to my 275/60-15 (28") I just pulled off. I'm almost certain its going to be to small. Even with my little 348 it might be hard to keep traction. However I did do some math and if I play my cards right I would pass through the traps at 4800 rpm in the 1/8th mile. That would be just above my normal shift point. Also based on my previous 1/4mile times not only will I be much faster in the 1/8 mile if I can get enough traction but I will also be able to shift to second (and final) gear soon enough to take advantage of what little power I do have. Once my brakes are fixed then its test and tune for the next couple weeks until the track opens at Eddyville May 1st. This next weekend is open at Ceder Falls drag way but I just can't swing it unless my dad decides to take a weekend off to go racing. LOL!
View attachment 93805
View attachment 93806

I am impressed that you are concerned about traction with those tires. My 2/4 power glide 61 convertible wouldn’t brake those loose
Robert

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The difference will be like going from his 3.70 gear to a little better than 4.20.Since he has an aluminum trans. and a small converter it might at 30 psi tire pressure.Lower the air pressure to 18 psi will fix that.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am impressed that you are concerned about traction with those tires. My 2/4 power glide 61 convertible wouldn’t brake those loose
Robert
Yep, did some math and Don is right. The only reason I'm jumping down to such a small tire is to get that advantage over the 28" tall tire that was leaving the line like I was Driving Miss Daisy. If my convertible (back when it had a factory 327/powerglide and 3.36 posi) can break them loose then I feel this dual quad 348/powerglide with 3000 stall and 3.70 gear shouldn't have to much trouble making it happen. My conv also runs taller tires than 24". I do plan on playing with the air to get as much traction as I can. Since I'm still new to drag racing still, I'm making the best adjustments I can with less hp and slower times so when I step up I will have a better understanding of what I'm doing. All of the adjustments I'm making aren't costing me a penny so why not. Just a matter of making the best with what I have laying around. Decided today to test my used 6AL box I have setting on the shelf. It works fine so its going in too. I still have two weeks to play with the set up track test and tune starts.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cast piston? What kind of horsepower you making???
Imagine a factory 250hp engine with 333 heads, 9.5:1 cast pistons, dual quad Edelbrock intake/carbs, Electronic distributor, long tube headers. Powerglide, 3000stall, 3.70posi, 24" tire. This is not going to be fast but I should be able to get in the high 8's in the 1/8mile consistently. Trying to learn as much as I can this year without breaking a bunch of parts.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Between the cam and the dual quads, you have quite the uphill battle. Tire diameter will help. What rpm do you shift at? What do you launch at?
Yes and yes. Tires will help but the shift will be in the 43-4400rpm range though until I get out on the flats and practice that might change up or down based on the new tires. Hard to really feel where the power is with big tires making everything sluggish. Launch will be whatever the tires brakes will hold. Again its all going to change with the new smaller tires. Not only will I be spinning less rotating mass with much smaller tires but I will also be taking smaller steps quicker. That said, I was shifting around 5000rpm when I raced in the 1/4mile but experience since then has told me that was a poor choice. Especially now that I know a little more about the camshaft in the car. Not switching cams. If I did then new heads would go on too and I'm to close to racing season to be making any big changes. At this point I would be better off putting the 434 in with the 700r4 but I feel its more important that I get more seat time before I decide to go break things. Lastly, the wife is starting a new job that will no longer require her corporate job to pull stupid amounts of over time. Thank god! That has killed my ability to get anything done until just these last few weeks.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The longroof body is a traction machine so it probably won't spin the tires as easy as your convertible.
Not sure only because I have smaller tires, deeper gears, 3000stall and probably a little more power with the 348 set up. Also, I still haven't gotten the interior in the wagon yet so its light at 4040lbs with me in it. Probably an even 4000lbs with the big tires gone now. I will probably know tonight. Should have the brakes back together finally where I can hit my practice strip after dinner.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Shorter tires make a converter act tighter. If you're hard on the brakes with a 3,000 'flash' convertor, the convertor doesn't have much room to go before it gets tight .....you lose the torque multiplication. With a tight convertor like that, dead idle or slightly above usually gets you better results.