Steel rim size.

Speers427

I have a 63 impala 409 that I am just getting ready to install my Jack Gibbs built 472 stroker in,and I am at the point I need to figure out my rim sizes.
I want steel rims that I can use my poverty caps on. But I want the widest rims I can get for the rear of the car. I want 15" tires.
The car is gonna look stock. It's being painted red with white roof,full factory red interior.
I'm not sure about back spacing and soforth.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm backing this 472 solid roller with a Tremec TKX 5 Speed. With 355 gears.
Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I run 15 x 6 on the front and 15 x 8 on the rear both with neutral offset.
I have stock drums all round, the 15 x 6 on the front with the neutral offset just touches the tie rod, so keep that in mind, I solved this by putting a 3/32" spacer. tyres are all 225/75/15

In regards to rear tyres, I was of the belief a 12" wide tyre was max, biggest issue is getting them on and off due to the wheel arches.
I am sure others will chime in

nice combo by the way.

Speers427

Do I need a smaller wilwood set up. I had these on my racecar. But if they won't fit I can buy smaller setup. Or a stock disc brake setup.. Thanks for your input. Or do I need a bigger steel rim for the 12" disc brakes.

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What kind of 15" wheel?
Wilwood 12.19 requires 16" min, their 11.75 might fit a disc brake compatible (mag wheel) 15" wheel. Their 11.5 and 11.0 will still require a mag type 15" wheel
Don't go by their so called "fitment"

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I had to cut the pinchweld down where the firewall meets the floor, and raise the tunnel on my 61 about an inch to clear the TKO. Let us know how that TKX fits in there, supposedly it's more compact than a TKO and doesn't require surgery in a 61-64.

You can't go wrong with body color steel's and dog dish caps :good On the rear, a 15x7 with 3" backspace or a 15x8 with 4" backspace (neutral, as stated above) is tight with a 28x11.50 slick but it does clear, no rub. Still enough room for a 2.5" tailpipe behind the tire. Anything you want on the front!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I just told Speers427 that my TKX 5 speed (installed in early 2022) in my 1962 impala SS 409 fit “without floor or tunnel modifications”. I did not want to modify the floor in my restored 62 SS and I did not like the shifter location on TKO’s.

I did reuse the factory 4 speed tunnel cover that uses the rectangular cut in the factory tunnel ( used on all 61 to 63 factory 4 speed cars). I also have my factory SS shift plate used on all factory 4 speed cars in 1962.

I first used a Richmond 5 speed in my 62 Impala SS 409 ( after removing a Muncie 4 speed overdrive )
that also cleared the factory tunnel and had the Hurst 5 speed shifter very close to the factory shifter location that is 17.5 inches from the bell housing for Borg Warner and Muncie 4 speeds.

I also had a curved transmission mount made to reuse the factory frame mounts for the rear transmission mount on the TKX & the Richmond. The rear transmission mount on the TKX is 1 & 1/2 inches further back than the stock location rear transmission mount.
The TKX 5 speed now comes( late this year) with a shifter to fit factory 4 speed location on 61 to 64 Chevys.
I had to purchase and have installed a offset shifter for my TKX early this year so the shifter would fit the factory 4 speed & factory 4 speed shifter location.

Paul

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
NICE :good Thanks for that info, been wondering about that. Wish I woulda waited 2-3 years. DOH. Woulda saved a whole lot of work and I hear you can hit gears to 7-8 grand in a TKX no problem, right out of the box.