Need Help Identifying 62 409 Idler Pulley & Bracket...Original Or Reproduction

msmit62

Well Known Member
Can someone help me determine if this idler pulley and bracket are original GM or reproduction?

Are there markings or features that would distinguish an original from a reproduction?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2004.jpg
    IMG_2004.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2005.jpg
    IMG_2005.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2006.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 29

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would like to see a direct view of the narrow edge of the bracket, also the edge of the adjusting slot.
The pulley looks to be a repop. No GM number and I think the front & back should look the same other than a casting # on the front. This pulley looks to be fully machined on the front & back surfaces.
Jeff

msmit62

Well Known Member
Thank-you for the responses thus far. I'm out of town for work right now but will take more pictures this weekend and will post them here on Monday. Murphdog, which end of the bracket would you like to see? Also, the area of the bracket that pinches against the bearing race isn't a true shoulder but more like a raised area. Is this how the original was made? Any chance one of you can post pictures of an original one so I can see the differences? Thanks again.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I want to see the thin edge of the bracket. All original brackets were either castings (orange V shaped part above) or made from stampings out of flat sheet metal. If sheet metal, it possibly went thru 1 or more additional presses to give them shape or form. May have nuts or other pieces welded to them to form what is called a "weldment" When a part is stamped in a punch press the edge of the part exhibits distinct shear & break sections. See pic, the thin smooth area on the left is the shear, wider rough portion on right is the break. The typical "reproduction" part is either laser or possibly waterjet cut and will not exhibit such an edge. It's edge will have a consistent type finish.
Jeff

Attachments

• 20230511_082812.jpg
    20230511_082812.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

msmit62

Well Known Member
BSL409, would you mind posting more pics of the black brackets? I'm especially interested to see what each looks like where the pulley mates to the bracket. Does the original have a nice shoulder welded on and the reproduction part have a formed shoulder?

Murphdog, everything you said makes perfect sense. I'll get pictures this weekend and will post them on Monday.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
msmit62,
The pics BLS409 posted I would say are legit for the 62 idler best I can tell and I am no expert.
The orange cast bracket has a casting #, the bracket has the marks of a true original stamping on the edge & the pulley shows evidence of a "casting" between the ID & OD machined surfaces.
Jeff

msmit62

Well Known Member
BLS409, thank-you for those pics. Any chance I can also see the black bracket with the pulley removed to see the area of the bracket where the bearing race gets pinched against the bracket itself?

msmit62

Well Known Member
Murphdog, attached are pictures of the edge of my bracket as well as two pics of my "Y Casting". The bracket has smooth edges and two distinct bend lines (the bend lines can be seen in my original pictures above) so based on your information it is reproduction. The orange Y casting part is missing a part number so I suspect it is also reproduction.

The reason I'm interesting in seeing the area where the bearing mates on an original bracket is because my dad has an idler bracket that is supposed to be 409 (it's for his 409 project) but he said it is missing any kind of shoulder to lock the bearing race. So we're wondering if his is not original either. My bracket, which we've now established as reproduction, has a raised area to contact the bearing race (it can be seen above) but my dad says his is just flat here. If his is an original GM part then is it missing a spacer? I really appreciate all the help thus far!

Attachments

• IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2195.jpg
    IMG_2195.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg