409-400 hp intake manifold water fitting.

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I have a GM 409-425 intake manifold that the fitting from the water pump hose to the intake manifold hose hooks up to. It appears to be a screw in fitting. I also have 409-400 hp single carb that uses a press in fitting.for the bypass hose.Has anyone replaced this press in fitting.it looks like removing the old one might be difficult. Show cars sells the fitting so others must have needed to replace it.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
When I got my 65 it had 2 4's that were running poorly I changed those out for a 400 hp intake, all was pretty nice except for the bypass tube, it was rotted out I just used a sawzall very carefully and cut through the tube then squeezed the tube with chanelocks ,it pulled right out,the size of the hole was just the right size to tap out. I went to a radiator shop, they had a screw in fitting that I think was better than original, some teflon tape and 13 yrs later still leak free :winner

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've replaced two of the pressed in fittings with no issues. I removed the old ones as noted above. Used a skim coat of JB Weld on the new fittings, then pressed them in. Works well with no leaks.

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
The latest development...a member of our car club is a really skilled machinist..Asked his opinion on removing the old fitting. He did this..found a bolt a little smaller than the id of the fitting, removed the head of the bolt and tack welded it at the opening used a slam hammer came right out with no damaged to the manifold.