Things Snap-On Tool owners say

62BillT

Well Known Member
What's funny is I sure find that true. Now I'm big on US Made stuff, but not when it's ridiculous. I needed an Axle Puller many years ago. Couldn't find one anywhere. I asked the Snap-On guy how much and almost fell over. I figured if I had just the Flange Plate, I could make the rest myself. I asked him how much for just the Plate, he said $100. Soon after, Harbor Freight started selling them. I got the whole kit, Flange, Shaft, Slide Hammer, 3 or 4 Accessories and a Box to boot, for $36. Been using it for years and has never failed me once.

Another story. A mechanic friend of mine bought a huge Dale Earnhardt series Tool Box. Darn thing even had Chrome Wheels. This was back in 2001. I asked him how much and he said $2000, just for the Box. He's probably still paying on it.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I was young and broke, I purchased a 3/4" socket set made in China. It was a big set. I used that set for decades building Harley's working on cars etc. I think I paid $35 bucks for it. It never failed me once. Craftsmen tools also have been good to me as well as some other better brands. However, even with that, my primary tools, mostly Snap On, Mac, Blue Point, and many others are worth it to me. If they were all stolen tomorrow, I would not replace them with Snap On unless I bought them used at about .25 cents on the dollar. Tools are more important than tool boxes, but in 2002, I did purchase a triple bay with a hutch from Snap On because the Matco dealer would not make the deal I wanted. I only did it because my double bay was flowing over with tools. I paid cash like I did most of my tools so I never really had payments, but I was always buying something so it is sort of the same. I just think that some of the tools are worth paying for , and some are not.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
When I got my last job in 1986, I had a medium sized Craftsman box with a rather eclectic selection of Snap On,Mac,and Craaftsman tools from the 70's. I had another similar box for home use, as I replaced the Brand X tools with Snap On, the Brand X all came home. The KRL 656 box was my new work box. About then, I made the last payment on my house, then I could acquire a really decent set of work tools, so I started buying lots of Snap On.One secret of buying Snap On is to immediately see what is on sale that week. Sometimes, a discount of $80-150 was available because of the week's special. Every week, I always paid at least $100 toward my account and that was even if I didn't buy anything. He always bragged about me being his best account, and could buy anything I wanted and place it on my account any time I wanted. The way to get some saving on a Snap On truck, always buy what's on sale. Pay ahead on your tool account, and don't get stuff you don't need. A few months after the acquisition of the large chest, the top box came up on sale for about $400 off. I grabbed one of those, and then the KRL 291 side box came up for sale. Later, the puller set with the Lexan doors on the puller cabinet came up for sale, very heavily discounted. I bought the whole set, took it home, and even though I don't do much work around here anymore, I have all I need to do about anything on the race cars, my truck, trailers and my wife's car. Then, the two row roller chest came up on sale,I got it for almost $1000 off, took it home, offed it in the driveway using a cherry picker, that is full of engine tools, transmission tools, and rear end set up tools and air tools. When I retired from the City of LA, I drove my truck to work on my last day, took the top box off, used a fork lift to put it on a work bench, loaded the bottom box into the truck, strapped it in with a ratcheting tie down, then slid the top box in against a thick piece of cardboard and strapped it in. Made the truck sag a bit, but it all worked well.
When I got home,I used my cherry picker to unload the truck and assembled the tool boxes and I got it in the garage with about 1/2" to spare. I saved over $1000 by buying tools that way, get what's on sale, keep a high enough balance to qualify for discounts, pay every week, and the tool truck driver will look out for you and treat you like gold.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
P.S. Keep your garage and shop locked and not visible from the street. Don't let neighbors and others into your garage.What people don't see, they can't beg, borrow or steal. Loaning tools is never a good thing.
I also have so much "stuff" packed into my shop that it would be almost impossible for someone to remove my toolboxes and/or most tools. Just another safety measure. LOL

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was buying Snap on 45 years ago when I started wrenching. Back then you had a tool failure you had the replacement in the mail some days the next day or two days. I was paying a premium price for service. Snap on got bought out and I would end up waiting over 6 months for a replacement.
It got to be Craftsman at home and there is a good Cornwell dealer around here. Bought some from a Matco dealer but not enough to keep him stopping by.

Sudsc61

Well Known Member
I added a US General top box to my Snap On Roller. I found this sticker on eBay. My Snap On man laughed when I showed him. But seriously. Snap On has the best customer service out of all the tool men over the last 40+ years and where ever you are there is always a Snap on dealer. Unlike the other tool guys71994808806__196F8D5D-170D-49EE-B8F9-E80B0D241240.jpeg

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a roll around matco large chest, 2 side cabinets, and a top chest...have 2 wing shelves on the ends and got it for 300 bucks...right time and place...I've filled the chest I bought back in the 80's with snap on tools all from swap meets at at least half price or less...I never buy new tools...

62BillT

Well Known Member
I've got a roll around matco large chest, 2 side cabinets, and a top chest...have 2 wing shelves on the ends and got it for 300 bucks...right time and place...I've filled the chest I bought back in the 80's with snap on tools all from swap meets at at least half price or less...I never buy new tools...
I bought a lot a my Craftsman at flea markets, unbelievably cheap. This is when they were still guaranteed for life at Sears. Still using just about every one.