Picked up 656 block, crank ? , piston, stroke id ... help

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
I picked up a block today. It was machined several years ago and the guy passed away, Gary Redmill from Jasper Alabama, before the motor was built. The guy I bought it from got it from his widow. Block is 64 or 65 car motor with Julian date of 240. It had extensive machine work done. Bored .060 (according to piston) haven’t miked and confirmed yet. If I can figure out this piston it should help verify crank assembly. Had ARP bolts installed in mains. Block has also had deck surfaced didn’t see any numbers on pad. I am not sure what crank is it doesn’t have any numbers maybe 409?, on front journal 0 over GM 2 , Middle journal has a DD last Journal has 90 on one side and a 2, maybe 3829027?, on the other there are no other casting numbers I see. Rod is Eagle I believe has ES on it haven’t measured yet. 4 of the pistons were ruined I was told the box they were in rotted and they are pitted to point I won’t use. The only numbers I see are SD over a 2404 and .060 on other side. I cannot find these numbers anywhere. Anyone know? Thanks, Harley

Attachments

• Resized_20240201_190734.jpeg
    Resized_20240201_190734.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8776.jpeg
    IMG_8776.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8764.jpeg
    IMG_8764.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8754.jpeg
    IMG_8754.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8730.jpeg
    IMG_8730.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8737.jpeg
    IMG_8737.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8733.jpeg
    IMG_8733.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8740.jpeg
    IMG_8740.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8778.jpeg
    IMG_8778.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8779.jpeg
    IMG_8779.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Not Ross, no numbers under dome only numbers are shown SD 2404 and .060 on other side of wristpin, looking at design the turned area above top ring and milling inside looks like ICON but I cant find this number or a ICON list to cross reference.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Icon only makes pistons for the stock stroke,or the 4 inch stroke crank..Also Icon pistons are sized ending in 008 for the 409 engines.Mic them and see what you come up with.

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
More crank pics, I’m not sure now it is stroked crank maybe stock 409, just can’t find any casting numbers that match anything I have for reference. I found another crank with similar markings a 3788072. Where it is stamped on first journal mine has no numbers. Flange is rusty but it should clean up fine.

Attachments

• IMG_8788.jpeg
    IMG_8788.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8787.jpeg
    IMG_8787.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8785.jpeg
    IMG_8785.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8778.jpeg
    IMG_8778.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8782.jpeg
    IMG_8782.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8781.jpeg
    IMG_8781.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 38

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Definitely a 409 crank. Has the distinctive rear flange. Rear flange is rough & will take some fluffing & buffing. Just don't get stupid with a sanding disc or scotch brite biscuit, KEEP it flat. You might salvage it. If it was put in a lathe and dialed in nice and you cut .010/.015 off of the face of the flange it would look MUCH better and I don't think it would hurt a thing! There are shims you could use to get the flywheel back to its original spot if you cut off more. Crank is a regrind, judging by the "deburring" around the oil holes. Get a mic on it to determine size. If it will polish up nice, great. If not grind it again. I have a botched 030/030 crank I am working on and going to take it 040/040. The only people that will know are you, your machinist & God. If ground properly it will not break because it's undersize! I feel sorry for the tap used to chase the threads! Rod is an Eagle "SIR" flavor, length ???, and they need a total rebuild and NEW bolts if there is any pitting at all on them. Piston is a mystery to me from what I see. It is a forged piston though from what I see in the pics. A google search for "2404" piston comes up with a Ford application. Are there any "markings" on the inside? Block does not appear to have any sleeves judging by the pics. Be sure and check cap fitment to the block resisters. Is it a 422 or 656 block?
Jeff

Last edited:

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
The crank came with new old set of 10/10 clevite bearings. The pistons have no markings inside. Just the numbers shown. The icon pistons show cars advertises on eBay has the same machine grooving above top ring and same milling marks inside piston dome but like you said I can’t find anything on them. The block is also already tapped and pinned pipe plugs in cam galleys like the ones you sent me. I just need to drill tiny hole to oil timing chain thrust.

427John

Well Known Member
As far as the flange face, I think just taking a skim cut to make sure everything is flat would be enough even if there is pitting it may look ugly but function wise I can't see where it would hurt anything as long as the flywheel seats correctly and tightens down good.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
So here's a thought. The crank may/may not be usable, some of the pistons are not. Get the stroker crank of your choice, some pistons that will work with whatever rods those are, and think a little bigger. It's all sitting there in front of you right now!!

It's a slippery slope, as they say.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I picked up a block today. It was machined several years ago and the guy passed away, Gary Redmill from Jasper Alabama, before the motor was built. The guy I bought it from got it from his widow. Block is 64 or 65 car motor with Julian date of 240. It had extensive machine work done. Bored .060 (according to piston) haven’t miked and confirmed yet. If I can figure out this piston it should help verify crank assembly. Had ARP bolts installed in mains. Block has also had deck surfaced didn’t see any numbers on pad. I am not sure what crank is it doesn’t have any numbers maybe 409?, on front journal 0 over GM 2 , Middle journal has a DD last Journal has 90 on one side and a 2, maybe 3829027?, on the other there are no other casting numbers I see. Rod is Eagle I believe has ES on it haven’t measured yet. 4 of the pistons were ruined I was told the box they were in rotted and they are pitted to point I won’t use. The only numbers I see are SD over a 2404 and .060 on other side. I cannot find these numbers anywhere. Anyone know? Thanks, Harley
High water mark on the block says enough. Need to CLR those rods/pistons. Someone let them sit under water in a bucket too long. Too bad because new you have about $900 of junk in your hands. The boys are right on the crank, might be able to save it. Pretty rough but it really depends on what you plan to do or more specifically, expect that engine to do.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Although not ideal/pretty if the piston pictured is the worst and you can get the rings off without damaging the ring grove I think I would bead blast the piston and make a judgement call. The pits on the side of the dome are somewhat inconsequential in my opinion. Do some fluffing & buffing of the pitted area to eliminate "hot spots". If you can figure out who's pistons those are a phone call would be in order.
Jeff

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Forgot to mention, I have a set of early ross pistons that are 60 over. Can you show a better picture of the top of you pitsons so I can compare. I know mine are early because they don't make them like mine anymore. Mine are still in the factory box so when I get home, I'll see if your 2404 matches anything. I will post a photo up here either way so the knowledge base can grow.

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Ok, Mystery Solved!!! I contacted ICON, they are Special Order Pistons SO( not SD) Part # 2404, they were made for Lamar Walden in 2009 in Special .060 over Bore. Looks like Walden did the machine work on this motor and had custom pistons made for it . This Jives with what the guy I bought it from told me, that some big 409 builder built it.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok, Mystery Solved!!! I contacted ICON, they are Special Order Pistons SO( not SD) Part # 2404, they were made for Lamar Walden in 2009 in Special .060 over Bore. Looks like Walden did the machine work on this motor and had custom pistons made for it . This Jives with what the guy I bought it from told me, that some big 409 builder built it.
So can you get the damaged piston replaced ,just the pitted ones?

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
According to them would have to go thru one of their dealers and special order them. These were only 10:1 so I am thinking will probably just go with a Ross Set that are .060 over. May have to step up and get whole crank assembly. Not sure if they make a .060 over set for Stock crank. Would like to be around 11:1 also. Just have to see what I can find at this point. Anyone got some .060 forged Ross pistons?

427John

Well Known Member
Something to look at too is the rods. in the pics they appear to be a capscrew type I beam rod, maybe an eagle or scat, definitely don't look like stockers. If thats the case they may not be stock 409 length.If you are going to have to replace the pistons and crank shaft then the stroker becomes a lot more attractive.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
According to them would have to go thru one of their dealers and special order them. These were only 10:1 so I am thinking will probably just go with a Ross Set that are .060 over. May have to step up and get whole crank assembly. Not sure if they make a .060 over set for Stock crank. Would like to be around 11:1 also. Just have to see what I can find at this point. Anyone got some .060 forged Ross pistons?
The only size 60 over I have are for a block I have ready to stuff them in. Hunt around, you may find something but most likely you will need to buy some new.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Ross or JE will usually make a custom size, pin height for you but I hear wait times are hit or miss how quick they will get it done now. I just went a small overbore on mine for future cleanups in a size a good ring pack is available. A Mopar size 4.325