12 hours without power ARGH!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sure do Bob. When Hurricane Irene came to my area about 12 years ago, loss power. Wasn't able to operate my sump pump. Eventually, 22" of water came in the basement. What a mess. Destruction. I swore this would never happen again. I bought and installed a standby Generac generator. Included all the circuits I wanted and needed in case of another power failure. I think it was a year later and Superstorm Sandy came. Power out. That generator ran flawlessly for 5 days straight. It allowed me to stay and live in my own house during this storm. I had everything I needed working and loss nothing at all. The generator requires it's own LP source/tank and it's always full. When the storm was over and the tank refilled, I figured it cost $3.07 per hour for 5 days to run the generator. I couldn't get a decent hotel room and eat for that price. I was very happy with it.
But, it gets better. Being paranoid, I even bought a roll out generator just to run the sump pumps in the basement, in case something happens to the Generac.. This generator has never had a drop of gas in it. I hope the piston didn't freeze to the cylinder. I really should start this soon. Do I dare tell you that I even bought a 3" suction pump and this has never seen gas either. Guess I give paranoia new meaning.
So, I do know what it's like to be without power. Not pleasant, especially when you see a 6 pack of Coke that had been in different room, come floating by you, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have also lost power a couple of times but once only a couple hours and another a little longer. When it does I hear the neighbors generator running to the back of me. I have thought about a generack also but for no more time it's off I can't see doing it.I have no water filling in basement so that's a plus. I remember in 1957 we lost power for two months due to a heavy wet snow knocking down power poles. We lived on a farm at the time and the yard had a snow drift as tall as the barn roof. We had a old radio console type we could hook up a battery and listen to that. When coming in the house one day and lights were on it was like almost inventing electricity .

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Sure do Bob. When Hurricane Irene came to my area about 12 years ago, loss power. Wasn't able to operate my sump pump. Eventually, 22" of water came in the basement. What a mess. Destruction. I swore this would never happen again. I bought and installed a standby Generac generator. Included all the circuits I wanted and needed in case of another power failure. I think it was a year later and Superstorm Sandy came. Power out. That generator ran flawlessly for 5 days straight. It allowed me to stay and live in my own house during this storm. I had everything I needed working and loss nothing at all. The generator requires it's own LP source/tank and it's always full. When the storm was over and the tank refilled, I figured it cost $3.07 per hour for 5 days to run the generator. I couldn't get a decent hotel room and eat for that price. I was very happy with it.
But, it gets better. Being paranoid, I even bought a roll out generator just to run the sump pumps in the basement, in case something happens to the Generac.. This generator has never had a drop of gas in it. I hope the piston didn't freeze to the cylinder. I really should start this soon. Do I dare tell you that I even bought a 3" suction pump and this has never seen gas either. Guess I give paranoia new meaning.
So, I do know what it's like to be without power. Not pleasant, especially when you see a 6 pack of Coke that had been in different room, come floating by you, Carmine.
You need to remove spark plug on roll out gas generator and put some engine oil in cylinder and crank it over several times then add a little more and leave piston close to top. Since you haven't added gas that's good.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You need to remove spark plug on roll out gas generator and put some engine oil in cylinder and crank it over several times then add a little more and leave piston close to top. Since you haven't added gas that's good.
Thanks. I will take that advice.

I know standby generators aren't cheap, but I did the electrical installation part myself. Had my local LP company come and do the iron pipe gas line. I just didn't want to go through this again. So much stuff was destroyed. I had a 30 yard dumpster dropped off and almost filled it. I loss about 8000 baseball cards I had collected with my two sons, an arcade PacMan game, legs on the pool table had to be replaced, two rooms of carpeting, pictures of family, clothing, water supply tank and furnace had to be repaired, etc. and etc. It really was heart breaking, so I decided never again. I balanced the grief and heartache against the cost and the generator won out. I didn't want a roll out because in August-Sept. we take a vacation to the OBX, the beginning of hurricane season. I didn't want to rely on anyone to come to my house, roll out the generator, plug it in and gas it every 10-12 hours. Figured they would have their own problems, so I didn't want to burden them. I priced them at the big box stores and also on line. Found what I wanted from a vendor in the Chicago area which was $1000.00 cheaper and drop shipped to my house. No shipping fee's either. I studied the installation directions every night for 3 weeks and decided it was time. The install went well and I never looked back. No regrets. No matter where I live, I wouldn't want to be without one. That and a monitored burglar alarm are a must for me, Carmine.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15

LP Generac for me also. Tied to my 1,000 gallon tank.

A 6 of coke floating by .......wait until the water from the flood goes over the top of your electric stove in the kitchen. . :browNot a good feeling.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
We moved out here almost 18 years ago and immediately had 3 days of no power due to
an ice storm...... :confused .
Once spring (2007) got here I had a Generac installed and been secure ever since. Power goes out a couple times a year
and the Generac comes on and goes off automatically......:dance3.
I built the snow baffle to keep the main intake clear......:good.

gen snow baffle.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When the derecho ripped across Iowa a few years back we lost power for over a week. While everyone else was buying what few generators they could find, I bought a 4000w inverter. Pulled my truck up to the house and let it charge a battery bank I assembled. Hooked up the inverter to run our portable A/C unit and fridge in the house. Thankfully I had an oversized alternator on the truck at that time. Now I'm building a 10K Watt generator to run off the PTO on my '46 Willys Jeep. The generator is getting mounted under the body between the frame rails. I want to be able to drive up and pull the lever for the PTO and run 220v anywhere I can drive to.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Where I live, we've been lucky.:good Power outages only last 30- 45 minutes. I hope I didn't just Jinx myself.:doh Anyway, one morning I walked down the basement stairs, to bring a few BALL canning jars down to the shelve. When I got to the last step, I hesitated, because something looked different. :dunnoBeing that it was morning, I thought, maybe I'm still half asleep.:rolleyes When I seen the Soda and Beer cans floating by, my brain snapped back to reality. What the hell, is going on?:dunno2I have a sump pump.? I stepped off the bottom step, and instantly found the water higher than my ankles. I shuffled my way to my Tool Room, to check out the Sump pump. When I got in the room, I couldn't believe what I seen. During the night, the Sump pump gave up the Ghost and stopped turning.:confused The electric motor was totally submerged in the water, and was still plugged in. This was a pedestal mount pump, and was not waterproof. I slowly backed my way out of the room, and went and turned off the power. My mind was asking me all kinds of questions, like how come the breaker didn't work? How come I didn't get electrocuted walking in the water? With the power off, it was safe, to unplug the Sump pump.:clap It took my wife and I all day, with a wet/dry vacuum, to get all the water out of the basement.:bang A lot of stuff got ruined, but I'm still here, to tell about it.:good

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Where I live, we've been lucky.:good Power outages only last 30- 45 minutes. I hope I didn't just Jinx myself.:doh Anyway, one morning I walked down the basement stairs, to bring a few BALL canning jars down to the shelve. When I got to the last step, I hesitated, because something looked different. :dunnoBeing that it was morning, I thought, maybe I'm still half asleep.:rolleyes When I seen the Soda and Beer cans floating by, my brain snapped back to reality. What the hell, is going on?:dunno2I have a sump pump.? I stepped off the bottom step, and instantly found the water higher than my ankles. I shuffled my way to my Tool Room, to check out the Sump pump. When I got in the room, I couldn't believe what I seen. During the night, the Sump pump gave up the Ghost and stopped turning.:confused The electric motor was totally submerged in the water, and was still plugged in. This was a pedestal mount pump, and was not waterproof. I slowly backed my way out of the room, and went and turned off the power. My mind was asking me all kinds of questions, like how come the breaker didn't work? How come I didn't get electrocuted walking in the water? With the power off, it was safe, to unplug the Sump pump.:clap It took my wife and I all day, with a wet/dry vacuum, to get all the water out of the basement.:bang A lot of stuff got ruined, but I'm still here, to tell about it.:good
I would have thought the breaker already tripped off the power on that circuit.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
LP Generac for me also. Tied to my 1,000 gallon tank.

A 6 of coke floating by .......wait until the water from the flood goes over the top of your electric stove in the kitchen. . :browNot a good feeling.
WOW. Overtop my electric stove in my kitchen. Honestly, I don't think I could continue living there no matter what. That is one serious flood, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We moved out here almost 18 years ago and immediately had 3 days of no power due to
an ice storm...... :confused .
Once spring (2007) got here I had a Generac installed and been secure ever since. Power goes out a couple times a year
and the Generac comes on and goes off automatically......:dance3.
I built the snow baffle to keep the main intake clear......:good.

View attachment 138715
Thanks for sharing that pic. I like how you have the generator off the ground. They send a fiberglass bed with mine and it just didn't seem what I wanted to do. It kept the generator almost ground level. With the amount of snow we can get here, I wanted more height with drainage. I used pressure treated 2x8"s and framed out a rectangular box to set it on. Reinforced the center and filled it with white pea stone. Put the generator on top and it's been there ever since. One of the best investments I ever made, Carmine.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
WOW. Overtop my electric stove in my kitchen. Honestly, I don't think I could continue living there no matter what. That is one serious flood, Carmine.

I wanted to leave....she wanted to remodel and add on in 2008. 500 year flood. And I've seen a couple of 100 year floods too.

Another flood came along in 2016. I hauled 80 loads of clay around the house and put a water pump inside the moat. No sleep for a couple days. I won. Would have had 15" of water in the main floor. Hauled all the clay out and ruined my asphalt driveway and landscaping. 30 grand worth.

She thought maybe we should move. We are up the road now a little over a mile.....and 60 feet higher.

bobs409

Administrator
Well, it happened again!!!! Lost power around 6:30pm and just got it back now at 1am. This is BS!!!!! The first time I can understand but why did it go out this time?? Weather isn't an issue this time.

Well, hearing that furnace running is a wonderful sound!! And I have my beloved internet back. :cloud

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Well, it happened again!!!! Lost power around 6:30pm and just got it back now at 1am. This is BS!!!!! The first time I can understand but why did it go out this time?? Weather isn't an issue this time.

Well, hearing that furnace running is a wonderful sound!! And I have my beloved internet back. :cloud
Hey Bob - before we had the Generac I used a small portable generator to power the furnace..... :rub .
Just convert the hard wire connection to a plug-in style and 'Bob's your uncle'......:dance3.
Then just run an extension cord to the generator running outside.....:good. Note: - running outside..:confused.

bobs409

Administrator
Hey Bob - before we had the Generac I used a small portable generator to power the furnace..... :rub .
Just convert the hard wire connection to a plug-in style and 'Bob's your uncle'......:dance3.
Then just run an extension cord to the generator running outside.....:good. Note: - running outside..:confused.
Funny you should mention that. We just got a 3500 watt generator and I am planning on adding a plug to the furnace so I can disconnnect it from main power and plug into the generator. (once my COLD goes away that I got from cleaning up fallen tree's in the back yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :sick2