409 replacing valve springs..question

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Well started to replace the valve springs in my 63 409..Purchased the push down valve compressor with the handle as it seemed like the easiest to use. Screwed the tool on the rocker stud, but when I compress the spring it moves the spring retainer off center making it impossible the drop both keepers in the retainer. It looks like the fork should not be bent up at an angle on the tool. Seems like it would work better if it were flat. With the bend in the fork it puts pressure on the retainer unevenly, causing the valve stem not to be centered. Was thinking of straighten the fork, but do not want to do anything stupid. It would seem to me the tool maker bent it up for a reason. Anyone else noticed this?

63impaloligist

Well Known Member
They move the retainers off center on a small block too. I find it frustrating but I hold the locks in place on the valve stem and start to release the compressor. Even then there are times I'm trying it a bunch of times on one valve. Luckily there's times it just works flawlessly. But be careful not to loose a lock or hurt your fingers.

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
It does not seem to make a difference. I think the fork must have the downward force must be evenly distributed on the retainer to keep it centered on the valve stem to be able to insert both of the keepers.