1961 Impala 409

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Found this article in the November 1994 Late Great Chevy magazine. Owner made a case for this car possibly being the first test mule for the 409.
This is the Dale Armstrong car that Verne confirmed was a Super Sport "test mule" built by the R&D guys at the tech center, presumably to test the viability of 348/409 SS and AC, because AC wasn't available on high HP engines. It now has a reproduction cowl tag after the color was changed and doesn't have the codes for an SS built at Van Nuys, but was original before the color change and new cowl tag. It was originally twilight turquoise (paint code 915), but now it's arbor green (paint code 905). The below link is from when it was for sale at one point. I laughed when it says it's the original paint because here's the cowl tag tracing of the same car with the same body number from when Verne first documented it and it clearly shows paint code 915. Tracings were how it was done before digital cameras.

Cowl Tag tracing.jpg

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I think this when the car was sold at Scottsdale in 2007 -no pictures -but it says silver and red
The shadow gray car with red interior that was sold at Scottsdale is a different car and one of the worst 61 SS fakes going around. The cowl tag for this car has about 10 mistakes on it.

27272.jpg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
So you get to own one of the rarest hi Po Chevys ever, and you change the color and the original cowl tag?!!!!
I recall showing at Hershey many years ago when this car was sold there. At that time I didn’t own my 61 SS 409 and recall carefully looking at its dual twin cowl tags and disliking the color of the car but recall it could use a refreshing. The car was sold and I’ve never seen it since. As a side note that might have been the year my 62 SS was given a national award.
Robert