1962 Impala roof

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Found out it was factory 409, 4 speed car with 4:56 gears in it and decided not to cut it up. Put it on the project list. Also looks to have been race car all its life so chasing down some leads on previous owners and it’s pedigree . The guy I got the red 62 from had this car for sale also. He was asking too much for it but started dropping price and got what parts he needed from it. I gave $200 for roof with rear package tray rear glass and all the trim on it Roof is almost perfect shape. Has rods and headliner in it also.

Last edited:

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I would be tempted to use a jack and a 4X4 timber section to try and jack the roof up from the low spot near the driver's door. It probably wouldn't be real beautiful, but it would return most of the car to its original shape. I would remove the windshield, vacuum out the shards of glass, remember that that early windshield glass would be full of sharp fragments, vacuum out the car very thoroughly after you remove the seats, then see what's involved once you get things back into a semi original state of being, be sure the frame isn't bent at the X section, and plan for the best. It definitely would be a candidate for a roof replacement, but maybe not. It would be interesting to clean this thing up as best as you can, set it on a flat surface like a good large cement slab, make sure all 4 tires are the same and inflated equally ,and take good measurements to ensure that there is no frame damage. It would be a nice car to restore. It definitely would be a good 409 candidate. White with a red interior was quite common at one time.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
In my opinion a 62 roof would be a very easy replacement on the front rails , mark the rails simply drill out spot welds and put back exactly where they were. You don't have that option with 64 roof. The rear would be same operation would be same between 62 and 64. That just be a cut trim fit and be more or less self aligning. I would use that 62 roof and worry about that car later . You say you don't want to cut it up but with all the rust you will be doing that anyway. Just makes sense that the front would be in correct position with no splicing there and no jacking around with old bent roof. My 2 cents.