348 camshaft choice

Casdyking59

Hi all getting into my first 348. Just Built a 59 elcamino with crate 454 . But just loved the w engine look and finally found a virgin bore complete 348 engine for the right price. I’m going to build as a cruiser and wanted to know of the best cam to install.
Running 9.5 stock compression. Want a nice note but dont want to modify as it’s more for looks and cruising. Car does around 1000 miles per year. Any advice appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_8453.jpeg
    IMG_8453.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 17

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Howards Cams-HRCCL-131101-12 from Competetion Products is close to as big as you can go with the stock replacement 9.5 -1 pistion.Nice little cam AT 215 IN -225EX. AT .050
:welcome2
Don, the specs don't look to far off from the 0949 or 0950. I'm not as familiar with the Howards Cam.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Check the current price on an 0950 now and you'll see why I'm recommending the Howards Randy.The Howards Cam AND lifters is 385.95.
Tell you what, they have a great selection of roller cams with great street characteristics. Most of us think of roller cams as strictly high performance but Howards seems to have a cam for everyone in flat tappet and roller. Thanks for reminding me Don. Not likely to change my wagon cam but might seriously consider a Howard next street build. I already have a cam selected for my Z11 tribute build.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,it'll work very well.Nice idle,really goodlow-mid range.It's the largest cam that they list that will work with the stock 9.5-1 piston.Good choice

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,Show Cars offers a Comp Cams grind,pn 0950 that has long been proven to excellant in applications such as yours.Post Covid it has become very expensive.

Reactions: 327

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No ,you'll need a spring upgrade on either cam.Competetion Products pn vs2 can work

61 belair

131101-12 Howard’s cam , Mr Jacks could you recommend a valve spring kit to go with cam listed above, I need a complete kit for 409 cu in 340 hp heads, any help is appreciated sir?