1300 hp and no brakes - throttle stuck - ouch!!

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Had avalible safety equipment but didn't use it, shoulder harnesses. Driving with control problem, sticking throttle. Riding brakes until overheat=brake failure.
I hope the mini van occupants are ok. Don't need innocent people/children hurt.
Fix problems with a vehicle before driving.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
They should have never taken that car on the road. Talk about stupid :doh. They didn't even know how to try and slow it down. Not familiar with the very machine they were out playing in. I've had throttle stick, transmission stick, gas pump run wild....Never stopped me from getting my machine stopped before it tries to kill people.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
How about crank the wheel and hit the Emergency brake….. how about downshifting to take some of the speed off, or scrub some of the speed off ………..before you hit those innocent people

An aluminum parking Pawl in an aluminum case…….. 50 miles an hour
That rocket scientist didn’t build a car

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Emergency brake. Don't leave home without it.
Those guys might have some experience building stuff in general (on a TV show) but looks like they don't have enough car/driving experience because if all you had was gas, then GUN IT to slide it sideways to slow the forward progress down. The only good thing to come from actually showing their mistake is someone will watch this and think twice about doing the same. If all this video does is raise awareness of "safety first", then its a win in my book. Ask Nathan or my dad standing around me at Tri-State in 2019, I didn't feel confident my '64 wagon was ready to race. My wagon sat on a car trailer next to a barn for 25 years before I bought it, I stuffed a 348 in it, rebuilt the brakes, yanked the interior, front bumper and hood off and proclaimed "I have a race car"! It moved under its own power for the first time in 25 years at the track Saturday morning 15 minutes before racing started thanks to everyone's help. Tech guy told me it was better than many of the cars he has seen. Nathan and I ran out of the parking lot and gunned it a couple times and I slammed on the brakes a few times and everything worked. If I wasn't at a track with ambulance and help if I needed it, I wouldn't have driven it anywhere yet. Anyway, stuff happens but shouldn't like this. In this video they wanted to show off and just about killed some innocent people doing so. NOT EVEN SMART ENOUGH TO USE EMPTY PARKING LOT, DEAD END ROAD or any countless other better options to drive on.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
That was not an “accident”. Accidents happen unknowingly. The driver and passenger knew of serious problems, but decided to not take any measures to keep themselves, and others safe. Throttle sticking, and still stabbing the throttle while driving in traffic? WTF! Very negligent to say the least. Poor choices lead to poor outcomes. This wreck is totally on the driver and could have been avoided easily. Passenger should have been smarter and spoke up, but didn’t. Glad everyone seems to be ok. Lots wrong with the video. I feel bad for the people they hit. I’ll step off my soap box now.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That was not an “accident”. Accidents happen unknowingly. The driver and passenger knew of serious problems, but decided to not take any measures to keep themselves, and others safe. Throttle sticking, and still stabbing the throttle while driving in traffic? WTF! Very negligent to say the least. Poor choices lead to poor outcomes. This wreck is totally on the driver and could have been avoided easily. Passenger should have been smarter and spoke up, but didn’t. Glad everyone seems to be ok. Lots wrong with the video. I feel bad for the people they hit. I’ll step off my soap box now.
:applPreach on! I am restraining myself from looking into the legal outcome for the TV show they were filming for. Deep pockets first, then trickle down from there to the driver. I am hopeful jail time was involved.

Last edited: