New 348 Guy

37RatRod

Hello everyone.. I'm Scott from NY and new to this site. I have a 348 with 6 Stromberg 97 carbs looking to run 4 of them. I could use a little set up help. Appreciate all.of you in advance!The set up I got when I bought it was rear 2 blocked off, 45 mains, 65 power valves. Motor ran ok... but was definitely heavy on fuel. Plugs black all the way even from driveway tuning. Thoughts??

Attachments

• 20240106_154540.jpg
    20240106_154540.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 30

37RatRod

Haven't done that yet. Was hoping to get a starting point on jetting , air screws, etc. Thanks for responding

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Watching these videos will help to get you up to speed on Strombergs. I think there are four from Charlie on the tube. Float setting is critical, fuel pressure is critical and vacuum a must have. Not uncommon to see these old carbs leak vacuum from poor or improperly installed bushings. And then there is the issue of the gas that we use that left to set will really crud up the emulsion tubes.
If that engine has a big cam you are going to have a bitch of a time getting enough vacuum to run 6 carbs. Is the manifold home made or after market?
Post up some pics of the carbs, the bases and that intake.

37RatRod

Watching these videos will help to get you up to speed on Strombergs. I think there are four from Charlie on the tube. Float setting is critical, fuel pressure is critical and vacuum a must have. Not uncommon to see these old carbs leak vacuum from poor or improperly installed bushings. And then there is the issue of the gas that we use that left to set will really crud up the emulsion tubes.
If that engine has a big cam you are going to have a bitch of a time getting enough vacuum to run 6 carbs. Is the manifold home made or after market?
Post up some pics of the carbs, the bases and that intake.
When I bought it the guy was running only 4 carbs. The front 2 and the middle 2. The rear 2 were plated off. I was planning on staying with only 4 just kinda thought plating the center 2 made more sense. But not sure.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I find it best to start with the factory jets for said carburetor. If you are starting with six different carburetors tuning may be tough.
Do you know if all the carburetors have the same part number?