VIN or Serial Numbers on Frame

randyw652

Hello group. I have an alll original (98%) 1963 Impala SS 409 Manual Transmission. I bought it out of NJ.

Im in NC and have to have the car inspected by the DMV. they have to make sure the Car is what is described on the VIN (ie serial Number in 63)

The number stamped on the engine is the sequential numbers "T" then production #. This matches the Last 6 of the VIN. the 31847 is matched by the Cowl tag as well as the Paint code Palomar Red as well as Black Bucket Seats (vinyl) which all describes the car perfectly.

Now the DMV states that the VIN tag was removed and (then replaced) wanted to see proof (ignored the engine and the cowl) and on the frame (in the trunk) you can make out the T and the 127 (last 3) but there are numbers IN FRONT of the "T" and i know those don't have anything to do with the VIN. what are they? Just concentrate on the numbers on the frame if you could. thanks.

James jones

Well Known Member
Randy, another idea on the frame number. I’m also in North Carolina. Years ago my wife had to buy a lift gate ban due to her walking issues. It belonged to an elderly couple who had passed on. Her daughter was selling it and lived in California. My wife put 22 thousand dollars in this woman’s bank account and we got the title. I went to get tags for the car but there was some kind of issue with the title. My wife paid a notary to come to the house and he notarized what ever the issue was between the car and the title. I then went to the dmv and turned in the title for a new title and tags. The point is I’m sure you could pAy a notary to come out to view your frame number to get you a new title and tags. Just food for thought. James jones, rougemont nc

randyw652

You say they "have" to see the number on the fra.e, however that preference is from the DMV not the law. Common sense lends you toward it is as described, but it is govt

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
In Switzerland, the VIN on the chassis must be legible when checked at the road traffic office. I stamped the VIN with punch numbers on the side of the chassis myself and it's fine. First sanded bright, outlined in red and covered with clear varnish, this is how even the stupidest inspector will find them...

Kurt from Switzerland

Attachments

• 20240321_154407.jpg
    20240321_154407.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 22

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I gave my son my '65 GTO several years back and had the same issue with DMV in NC The argument in that case was that the VIN tag didn't have rosette rivets. Car was built 9/64 and they didn't start using rosette until January '65. His BOOK didn't
tell him that. On my next visit to my son's place, I took a lighted small mirror on a telescoping handle and some sandpaper. Found the VIN (partial as it started with P (pontiac assembly in the vinand then followed by the VIN run number on the top of the frame. We called the guy up and he came right over Used my mirror and saw it. My son had been able to register it but couldn't get the title until frame number could be proven. I suggested that he ought to get a new "book". End of a 1 year issue.2534D855-0F6B-4580-8124-2345E62AEF1C.JPG

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Not sure. If the frame had been changed I would have taken it back and re/registered in in NY as they never checked it when I bought it. However, I bought it from a long term owner from a town in NY who said he had bought it years before from a small NC used car shop.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
In Switzerland, the VIN on the chassis must be legible when checked at the road traffic office. I stamped the VIN with punch numbers on the side of the chassis myself and it's fine. First sanded bright, outlined in red and covered with clear varnish, this is how even the stupidest inspector will find them...

Kurt from Switzerland
In states that check, I don't think that they would take a restamp in a location where it wasn't originally stamped.

63impaloligist

Well Known Member
In NJ I had a parts car with a title that was missing a number. All I needed was a stencil tracing of the VIN to get it straightened out. Surface rust would definitely have prevented me from seeing it on the frame. Even on my other cars, or undercoat. Come to think of it, I never saw it on my SS when I stripped and painted the frame.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
For any stamping on the top of a frame surviving this many years would be very rare. I would think the integrity of any tag with the car would be the deciding factor, it should show the age of the car in question knowing that most of these cars did not live a sheltered and pampered life. Not everyone had a garage ;)

Hello group. I have an alll original (98%) 1963 Impala SS 409 Manual Transmission. I bought it out of NJ.

Im in NC and have to have the car inspected by the DMV. they have to make sure the Car is what is described on the VIN (ie serial Number in 63)

The number stamped on the engine is the sequential numbers "T" then production #. This matches the Last 6 of the VIN. the 31847 is matched by the Cowl tag as well as the Paint code Palomar Red as well as Black Bucket Seats (vinyl) which all describes the car perfectly.

Now the DMV states that the VIN tag was removed and (then replaced) wanted to see proof (ignored the engine and the cowl) and on the frame (in the trunk) you can make out the T and the 127 (last 3) but there are numbers IN FRONT of the "T" and i know those don't have anything to do with the VIN. what are they? Just concentrate on the numbers on the frame if you could. thanks.
Randy, If you don't mind what was the license plate number on that car? Thanks