99 wrangler

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Well, as I have most of my life, I always want what I can’t have. My 99 wrangler has the 4.0 6 cylinder and it sounds like a 6 cylinder. Now that the exhaust manifold has cracked, I need a new one. Perfect time for a split header and dual exhaust. The normal split headers for this application has the first three cylinders and the last three cylinders paired together. Dual exhaust sounds like a noisy 6 cylinder. The old 258 aka 4.2 Jeep 6 cylinder headers had the cylinder pairing switched up, and nearly sounds like a v8. My buddy had one years ago and I had him pop the hood as I thought he swapped in a v8. They take 1,2 and 6 paired with 3,4,and 5. Well that’s what I am doing with the new header. Will take some doing as there is little room for the pipes to go, and I won’t know the outcome until the exhaust is nearly complete. This will be a shorty header set up, compared to long tube style, but I suspect the sound will be nearly the same.

Attachments

• 50E2D58C-680F-4F2E-9853-65E4BEC8E0DE.jpeg
    50E2D58C-680F-4F2E-9853-65E4BEC8E0DE.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 29

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Got the header pipes re-routed. Changed the pairing from 1 2 3 and 4 5 6 going into the collectors to 1 2 6 and 3 4 5. This makes a tri y set up. Got it all installed and bent up the exhaust today. Well, it sounds like a v8. A bit louder than I wanted, but all will be ok. Will try to get a video of the sound and some pictures today or tomorrow. Fun project for sure. A lot of work for not much reward but what the hell, it was fun. Off to my next dumb adventure!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Back in the 60's I recall the split manifold on a 6 banger sounding ok. Was that 123---456?

Reactions: 327

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
There were several Chevy 6 cyl headers around here. They were 123-456. I split one on a 57 Chevy pickup years ago. I also did 123-456. The only one I did different was on a Chevy II 4 cyl engine I put in my 43 Jeep. I built the headers and made them 13-24. A little more work but it sounds good.