Bubble Top Want-a-be

ahewitt

New guy here, I've sold a couple of cars of late and been thinking about getting something to compliment my 57 Chev. Always like the 62 Belair hardtop, AKA bubble tops, and now I have room for one. As I'm somewhat new to these cars, before I pull the trigger can someone help me with some of the pitfalls to avoid? To start with what does the VIN define and where were they located in 62 (A pillar)? In 1957 the VIN defines the year, model and engine (V8 or I6), does the same applies in 1962? Is the VIN stamped on the frame and if so where? I'm looking at 409 cars, and would like the real deal and not a clone, was the VIN stamped on the block. What casting serial # were the 409's engines in 62? What does the cowl tag say and where is it? Again I assume body; style, color, interior and maybe engine and transmission. I know that is a lot of questions, so thanks in advance for any help. Below is a picture of my 57 that will compete with a new ride for the good weather here in Seattle... Al

Front of House.jpg

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
The cowl tag doesn't tell you the engine or transmission in 62, but it does tell you the other body options a car has. The VIN will only tell you year, body style and V8 or L6, but there's a lot of bubbletop clones getting around, so if you find one, post cowl and VIN tag photos here and I'll properly decode them for you and tell you if there's any funny business with either of the tags.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The correct engine for a 1962 409 is a # 3708068 on the back drivers side of the block and has either
a QA (380 HP) or QB (409 HP) stamped at the end of the pad on the passenger side of the block

In mid 1962 the 409 blocks started to be stamped with the car serial number on the passenger side pad
with the QA or QB stamp from the engine plant

welcome to the site..