Need Help Identifying 1963 Impala ss 409 dual Carbs

Can anyone help me decode a cawl tag on a 1963 Impala. I am purchasing a car. I am being told that it is an ss 409 dual carb car. I would like to verify if possible. Thank you.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
First Post cowl and VIN pictures ( the tags will only tell if it came as a v-8 or 6 cylinder from the factory, “they will verify if it came with a 409 from factory”

To check on 409 originally need details of engine pictures of all sides of the engine , pictures of factory tach pictures of radiator and fan shroud, pictures of cast iron exhaust manifolds.
pictures of gas line around the passenger side of the upper a frame by the fuel pump.
pictures of carbs without air cleaner to check for factory 409 only return line on glass fuel filter.

these two items verify of 409 is original to car…
pictures of the engine pad on passenger side in front of head - to check for matching number 409 engine may have paint covering the stamped numbers

Serial # of engine block located on the drivers side of the engine block next to firewall - need mirror to see 7 digit GM block # with raised numbers

Lots of clone 409 cars out there.
Paul

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
doesn't he need to post the first 5 or 6 numbers of the vin number for engine ( and that will only tell 6 or 8 cylinder) and the cowl will only tell the trim, paint, SS package etc?

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So this cowl tag says 1847 and the car is a 6 cylinder. So doesn't he need to post the VIN# for the engine size?

1847a cowl tag.jpeg

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
So this cowl tag says 1847 and the car is a 6 cylinder. So doesn't he need to post the VIN# for the engine size?
Yes. The 1958-64 cowl tag always (except with Canadian cars) has the V8 STYLE code (1211, 1669, 1847 etc) but the VIN always has the L6 or V8 designation. To remove all doubt on whether it was a V8 or L6 the VIN is the best way to tell. But there were many different V8's....

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes. The 1958-64 cowl tag always (except with Canadian cars) has the V8 STYLE code (1211, 1669, 1847 etc) but the VIN always has the L6 or V8 designation. To remove all doubt on whether it was a V8 or L6 the VIN is the best way to tell. But there were many different V8's....
The # of cylinders by vin is true in most cases but didn't the 1959 and 1960 Elcamino's have an issue with them building the main part of the car at one plant or something and finishing the car at another plant so they didn't always know if a 6 cylinder, small block or 348's would end up in them until final assembly. Thanks again for any insight Carl. :bow