Happy 4-09 Day!

bobs409

Administrator
For me it would be Doug Marion's stories in Super Chevy on his 62 Belair. I loved the full size Chevy cars since I was 4 but it was Doug's story that started me on 409's. A few years later, I found mine! :cloud

Not sure if I ever asked this but is that car still around??? :rub I don't recall it ever being finished back then but I have a bad memory.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
It started for me, in late 1964. Dad told me, when I graduate, he would help me get a car. :danceWe looked at many used cars. Some were nice. Some were overpriced. Some were plain Junk. :fear2I read a For Sale, in our local newsrag, of a 1959 Chevy Impala Conv. 348, 4 Speed car. Of course, it was RED. As soon as we seen it, that was it for me.:love When the guy popped the hood, 3 Dueces with chrome air cleaner pot's stuck right out. I noticed the weird looking valve covers. I had only seen them in pictures, but I knew what they were. Dad sort of liked the car, too.:goodThe seller started the car up, and it was obvious, this wasn't what Dad had in mine, for my first car.:( The loud ticking of the engine, the rumbly exhaust. Nope. Not gonna happen.:cry1 The ride home, was very quiet. :bore3A few days later, I spotted an add, at one of our local Car Dealers. 1964 Chevy, Impala SS Conv . Low miles. The add did not mention, what engine the car had. When we got there, it was love at first sight. :cloudEverything, I always wanted. :love And it was RED. As soon as I seen the 409, on the fender, I had to pop the hood. Chrome everywhere.:dance3 There's those strange looking, valve covers again. :applI couldn't get Dad to make the deal, that day. He wanted his buddy to look at the car first. :mad Dad didn't know what the 409 on the fender meant, but his friend knew. :shudderHe told Dad, this car has a big engine. Maybe your son will get several speeding tickets. This wasn't good news for me. :( After a couple days went by, and I convinced my Father, I wouldn't get into any trouble. The next day, we traded in, my very tired 57 Chevy 283 wagon. :happyI kept my word, to Dad. I never got a Speeding ticket, with that car. :good But I did need to hire a Lawyer, one time for a muffler infraction.:roll

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My dad took me to the local dragstrip in 61 i was just a kid who liked cars the chevrolets were the kings and when the 62 409s came out in late 61 i knew i would have a car like that someday i bought a 63 409 in 1966 and still have it today

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Technically the engines are born 4-08.98ci so I try and find myself an appropriate related birthday present each year. Then again, depends on how bad the machinist was who put the engine together. :crazy