348 engine

iaco59

Well Known Member
I have a complete 348 , block,3755011 date code B2460,intake 3770083,water pump 3782760, dack stamped T03307TF,exhaust3755780, HEADs B1660 3764702.?? I have no info on heads! what are they? any good? engine looks good , is it worth building?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The "TF" stamped on that front pad tells us it was most likely a "truck" 348 engine from a 1960 C-50 or a C-60 truck?

I think we once determined that the "702" cylinder head castings were also "truck specific" kinda like the 333s. These engines put out around 220 - 230 horses back in the day. Lots of torque though.

What is the condition of the engine? Does it rotate? If heads are off, is it a single notch bore or a double notcher? Is the water pump from a truck or from a passenger car? I'm sure others will chime in regarding value.

Cheers! TomK

Reactions: 327

iaco59

Well Known Member
Thanks Tom. I think your right on the TF. still confused on the 702. I think old sky dog is familiar with it, maybe he will chime in.the engine looks good .turns over easy-no catches. haven't had the head off yet?? did they double notch in 1960 ?not sure about water pump.i'm trying to figure out if all is original. has a holly 4 bbl on it which I know is not original .

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
The 702 heads are the least desirable head due to small runners and bowl area. Not good for any performance application other than stock.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Can it be built,yes.,it depends on what you want it to do and how much you want to spend getting there

Reactions: 327

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Just remember, it costs just as much to properly rebuild a 348 as it does a 409, and the resulting values are quite disparate.

Of course, the cost of the "starter kits" (block/crank/heads/intake) are a bit higher for the 409 as compared to a 348 :).

I have a "double notch" truck 348 fitted block that I think was cast early 60s, so you might want to pop a cylinder head off and check.

Good luck in your decision making!

TomK

iaco59

Well Known Member
I all ready have three 348,s i was interested in selling this one. need a starting place. the intake is a 305 hp??? if I read it right as well as exhaust ??. Really don't know what that does to value. any body have I guess?? what approx should I start at?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a complete 348 , block,3755011 date code B2460,intake 3770083,water pump 3782760, dack stamped T03307TF,exhaust3755780, HEADs B1660 3764702.?? I have no info on heads! what are they? any good? engine looks good , is it worth building?
That's a truck engine and will have 2 notches in the bores. The 702 head has exhaust rotators and has smaller valve diameters but no combustion chambers around valves. It can be modified for bigger valves but you still end up with small intake runners like the 379 car heads. It is also the only 348 head I know of with a distinguising mark on the end of the head like the small block heads have.I-30-58 702HEADS 2.jpg3764702 truck head 1.jpg3764702 truck head 3.jpg

iaco59

Well Known Member
Thanks Cecil,does it have any value? What would a fare price be? with the Holley carb on it,would it make any more hp? how would you get more out of it?is it worth building? does it offer plug cooling

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd say,maybe 750-800 dollars as is.You're going to need to change heads,cam,intake,stroke it,pistons to get it up to 400 hp .Yes that one will have plug cooling.The 305 horse intake and Holley will be worth maybe 20 hp.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The 083 intake is still mistakenly identified as a "305 hp"intake when it is only a truck intake. The 305 hp engines used different intake.
If it was a running truck or industrial engine it might bring $1500 or so but if you need to build it likely less than $1k. The only negative on the block itself is the two compresson notches but that can be overcome with new pistons in a good build.

iaco59

Well Known Member
I thank you guys for the good info. now comes the hard part. selling or building!!!!!!!!! if possible, give me a list a parts that I would need.would truck 333's work on it. I have them .they would probably need machine work. that could be expensive . what would it be worth if built??